Wedding DVD slideshows

iainmacd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi there,

I am in the process of investigating the idea of supplying wedding photographers with DVD slideshows that they could add to their offerings. These would be available with a selection of professional DVD style menus, and incorporate music, a selection of transitional effects, as well as panning and zooming effects - that when combined make an excellent product.

I understand that many wedding photographers are already offering this, but am wondering if there are others that don't, but may be interested in doing so - especially if it meant being able to do so without investing in new equipment or learning new skills.

Ballpark cost to the photographer would be £50, but from what I've seen photographers could easily charge £150, either as a standalone extra, or as part of an existing package. It may also increase competitiveness, eg if one photographer offered them, but another didn't, the potential client may go with the one who did.

I'm just wondering if this might be the sort of thing that would be of interest to anyone?

Cheers,
Iain

I don't do them now, but I would rather offer my own unless they were REALLY kickass. I also have no idea how much money you're talking about - USD? :) Maybe 65-180? That seems like a lot to me when I can do a slideshow up in about an hour. I'd be more inclined to do my own, but that's just me.

mavrik said:
I don't do them now, but I would rather offer my own unless they were REALLY kickass. I also have no idea how much money you're talking about - USD? :) Maybe 65-180? That seems like a lot to me when I can do a slideshow up in about an hour. I'd be more inclined to do my own, but that's just me.

they'd be pretty good - using templates from apple's iLife suite for the menus, but using ken burns style pan/zoom effects, and transitional effects - plenty to choose from, but a simple cross dissolve works as well as anything. how much more could you add?

regards price - i've seen photographers sell them here for £150 - people go crazy when they get married!

and yes - photographers could do them themselves, but not all will have the equipment (dvd writer), the software, the know how, or the time to do so.

Iain

Yeah I understand. I'm just answering from this wedding photogs POV and I hope it helps your decision making process. :)

M

sure - no probs :)

Does anyone know what the situation is regarding using music - ie copyright?

On the one hand I've read that you need a sync licence, but on the other I've read that if you're using a track from a CD owned by the couple, then its covered by their "personal use" of that track.

They may pay either the photographer, who has in turn paid me, but that is for the creation of the dvd, not the supply of any music - it is simply putting a track on a dvd for them, and is comparable to them putting a copy on a tape to have in the car.

Iain

I do weddings on electronic albums. I use a product called Flip Album.

www.flipalbum.com

www.flipforum.com

As to the music: Copyright - terrible subject.

If I understand your question the answer is you would need a copyright release. For example if bride and groom own a copy of "Ave Maria" sung by Andy Williams they CANNOT legally give you their copy for inclusion in the DVD/CD IF you're getting paid for the creation of the DVD. Copyright release would be required.

So I use production music. I buy the music that gives you the right to use it in commercial productions. Conditions of use depend on the owner. Some give you unlimited use for a "buyout" price, some music is leased, etc.

A good source of production music is any magazine that specializes in video - like Videomaker. Usually there are a lot of ads in video mags for production music.

it seems harsh, but an unfortunate reality.

regarding production music - how much outlay does this involve? do you have a wide range (for wedding stuff), or just a select handful that you incorporate into most projects?

are there any resources on the web for this sort of thing? i've found this one which looks promising : www.q-music.co.uk

do you find that your clients are happy enough with production music, or does the fact that they can't have their favourite tune put them off?

cheers,
Iain

Some are put off by this but the legal ramafications are not worth it.

I deal with this type of issues almost daily. We always run it though our legal office to appease the customer. Some are reasonable about it and some are not. But no release we don't use it. Not worth the fines.

well I emailed the performing rights society, and they've emailed me back an application form for a "limited availability license", but in the notes it mentioned that it didn't cover commercial cds etc, which wasn't that helpful, as thats what I'd mentioned in my email.

£17.63 for up to 30 minutes of music almost seemed a fair price.

Thats the annoying thing - I'm quite happy to do it all above board, see artists get a share etc - its just such a PITA that "being above board" means "getting royally screwed".

It would be so much better if there were licenses you could buy whereby you paid a % rather than some ludicrous one off payment, that was many times what you were going to make from it.

Iain

Some production music can be bought online. Some just demo on line.

I like the selection at www.Music2Hues.com

They're a good place to start. I don't know if they ship internationally.

Another place with good music, though a bit more expensive is www.sound-ideas.com out of Canada. But don't get the Turner Selection. We have it. Don't like it. The rest of their music to include Westar is a-ok.

Most reactions

Back