Wedding Photography: 0-60

What is "gets the job done" - is that just good enough? So a professional photographer shows up at your door carrying a point and shoot along with his/her phone which has a camera and they'll get the job done. Except for possibly a few really talented photographers I would think it wouldn't work too well. Everything I have read even going back to my film days has pretty much stated that larger sensors and film give better images.

If I booked a wedding photographer based on their portfolio, and the images they delivered of my wedding were on par with their portfolio, I don't care if they captured it on a Fisher Price digital camera. :lmao:

When I take my car to my mechanic, I do not inspect his toolbox to make sure he is using Snap-On Flank Drive Plus combination wrenches and refuse to let him work on it if they are "just" Craftsman tools. (and before you ask, YES, there is a world of difference)

Under the exact same conditions using the exact same lens and assuming a well lit well exposed shot, does a full frame camera have an advantage over a crop? Yes. Will 90% of the population notice the difference on their 8x10s? No. If the company hires you based on your portfolio which was all shot on crop and you deliver an image on par with your portfolio with your crop will they be dissatisfied? Probably not.:confused:

Of course, like I said, if you really wanted to go all out for quality you would be shooting large format anyway so it is a moot point. Ever seen an 8x10 contact print? :drool:

Allan

No, I never saw or used a 8x10 camera although back in my younger days I wanted to. I never said what type of camera to buy, I just said not to use a crop sensor. As you implied with the 8x10 comment there are differences between large format vs crop sensor DSLRs and I doubt very many photographers would be able to use a 8x10 in a wedding ceremony, that's where studio work comes in. Will most clients know the difference - no. Should a photographer know the difference - yes. If Hasselblads and Snap On tools didn't make a difference they wouldn't be around, apparently they do make a difference to their respective professionals.

No, I never saw or used a 8x10 camera although back in my younger days I wanted to. I never said what type of camera to buy, I just said not to use a crop sensor. As you implied with the 8x10 comment there are differences between large format vs crop sensor DSLRs and I doubt very many photographers would be able to use a 8x10 in a wedding ceremony, that's where studio work comes in. Will most clients know the difference - no. Should a photographer know the difference - yes. If Hasselblads and Snap On tools didn't make a difference they wouldn't be around, apparently they do make a difference to their respective professionals.

You are correct, they do make a difference. But overkill benefits no one and causes costs to be unnecessarily high. Why in the world would I use a large format, or if you want the best in handheld digital a phase one, for a client who wants a 1"x2" ad for the local phone book? In the yellow pages could anyone tell which ad was shot with a phase one and which was shot with a nice point and shoot? I think not.

You mention weddings, for many years weddings were shot by pros with medium format. So do you shoot weddings with a medium format? Say with a $40,000 P65+ digital back to provide your customers with the very best possible? Or are you shooting some cheapo $5-7k DSLR body?

A professional, IMHO, should have the correct tools that provide the client with what the client wants for the amount of money the client wants to spend. I think it is ridiculous to try and specify what level of equipment a pro "should" have in their bag. You can argue full frame, I can argue medium format full frame (which they CAN use at a wedding ceremony), someone else can argue crop, etc etc etc. Then we could get into lenses. You can argue "pro level zooms", I could argue real pros only use primes, someone else could argue if it isn't Zeiss glass it is garbage.

In the end if the customer is satisfied, that is all that matters, at least in my opinion.

Allan

I've noticed a lot of threads where people ask about wedding photography, where they have some grand illusions that they're going to buy a nice camera and then go out and make a couple thousand dollars on a Saturday.

Although these threads are a lot of fun to watch unfold, I want your opinion:

What do you think is a reasonable timeframe to go from newbie/basic level of understanding to shooting weddings professionally?

Obviously there are a lot of variables. But let's say a newbie has all of the needed equipment and a desire to learn. Couple of years? Three or four? More?

Just seems like some people have grand illusions. Maybe it's good to aim high, but it seems some people really lack a sense of reality with photography...

There is no time frame. Talent trumps seniority every time. Golf is a good example. Kids can spank people who have been golfing there entire life.

A beginner quick on the up take concerning technical matters can use talent to produce awesome photos while the long timer with little talent still takes ho hum photos.

"Just seems like some people have grand illusions" Quite right. The grand illusion is that time produces talent.

I'm not at all a professional but my opinion is for a professional to step it up a notch and that is exactly what it is - my opinion. At a certain level it may become ridiculous to get better equipment and there will always be an opinion on what better equipment is.

I agree that using a medium format for a 1"x2" photo is way overkill but in the same token to use a crop sensor for an 11"x14" is also wrong. Would I be happy seeing a pro coming with a Nikon D3000 with a 18-55 zoom - NO!

I'm not at all a professional but my opinion is for a professional to step it up a notch and that is exactly what it is - my opinion. At a certain level it may become ridiculous to get better equipment and there will always be an opinion on what better equipment is.

I agree that using a medium format for a 1"x2" photo is way overkill but in the same token to use a crop sensor for an 11"x14" is also wrong. Would I be happy seeing a pro coming with a Nikon D3000 with a 18-55 zoom - NO!

I certainly understand and respect your opinion, I just happen to feel that the end result is more important than how you got there.

Equipment is indeed important, there are certain minimums to be able to get the job done. Using your example in many indoor receptions I have shot a D3000 with a kit 18-55 it would be impossible to shoot with available light, it just can not do that. But step that up to a D90 with a 24-70 2.8 (or for that matter, a 50mm 1.8) and all of a sudden you can capture excellent images.

Images with today's crop sensors at 11x14 can be awesome, and even much larger. FF used to have a huge edvantage in high-ISO, and while it still maintains a lead, with cameras like the new D7000 that is shrinking.

I really do understand what you are saying, and I agree that a pro really should not be running around with equipment bought at Wal-Mart, but saying they must have FF, or all L glass, or whatever else you may dream up means little if the customer is happy.

Allan

Most reactions

Back