Wedding Photography Suggestions

Nice :)
One thing though, and this is personal preference, this RING shot - I have either one or the other hold it and focus on the person INSIDE the ring and use the ring to frame the shot.

I like that idea. I have tried before but failed. Could you post a sample picture of one you have done with some tips. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I like that idea. I have tried before but failed. Could you post a sample picture of one you have done with some tips. It would be greatly appreciated.
Here's one of several that I shot...
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr2010-09-26JP-Portraits_195.jpg

Specs - ISO 400, F/22, 1/250sec, Light (nikon sb800) on the bride camera left 45* (w/ respect to camera) at 5-10feet from the bride set at 1/4 power (iso 400, f/5.6).
There were other ones, more formal, but during this shoot someone said something funny and emotions were captured. Another version I made for them was selective color w/ bride in color and everything else desats + glamor glow filter from Nik.
Big thing with these, you have to use spot/center focus and you have to stop down your lens otherwise you'll barely see the ring (have those as well). KEEP IN MIND that depending on your environment, when you stop down, you might need additional light.

I have other ones like these, some come out better, some come out less better but you get the idea.

EDIT:
By the way, this is a low res file, that used ONLY for demo purposes thus it isn't very sharp or high quality looking. Original is crispy clean.

Last edited:
I wish I could have gotten them more centered on this one, but I like this photo. What do you think?

68858_157615840938634_144539378912947_319645_2141979_n.jpg

Too corny for me, sorry but shots like those make my skin crawl, try something original because they are so yesterday

Too corny for me, sorry but shots like those make my skin crawl, try something original because they are so yesterday

The fact that they are so yesterday may be the truth, but you wouldn't believe the number of clients I get that request these photos. It is like everyone still wants one. And they pay the bills.

The fact that they are so yesterday may be the truth, but you wouldn't believe the number of clients I get that request these photos. It is like everyone still wants one. And they pay the bills.

Not in the UK they don't,

Wow. I think that's the least someone has ever been flamed for a "Shooting my first wedding" post.

When I read the first post, I thought he was going to get slammed left and right. His adequate gear and past experience saved him I guess.
If he had a rebel xti with a kit lens and no past experience, then this thread would have been a battle ground for him...

Anticipation is where it's at. Know where people are going to be, know the sequence of events (kiss, bouquet, dances, etc.), know when people are going to look at you. It comes with practice.

Most reactions

Back