Wedding Photography Training

Postman158

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking for wedding photography training books that some of you semi-pros and pros would suggest reading. I want to get more into wedding photography, but I want to obviously train and cover all my bases first. I currently second shoot/help carry equipment for pros in my area so I can see how they do business. In my free time however, I'd like to read up. There's tons of books out there, but what is your personal favorite and what would you recommend?

Postman158

Find another wedding photographer to shoot with. There is lots written in books, but books won't give you any real idea of what it's like.
I probably have a dozen or so books on wedding photography and in all honesty? They're useless. You HAVE to be there and experience it to have a clue.
The bottom line:
Know your sh!t inside and out.
have your insurance and contracts in line
Know your sh!t upside down and backwards
Be able to do everything with a camera under the worst pressure ever.
work out-there is a ton of WORK and lugging involved.
second shoot as long and as much as you can.

No one has any books to recommend? :p
You didn't find any books as a result of your internet searches done some time in the 35 hours between post #1 and post #2?

Haven't the pros you second/help recommended any books?

What, if any, books do you already have?

At any rate, it would be wise to start building a library of Wedding Photography and related books. - Amazon.com: Wedding Photography

As mentioned a very good grounding in the artistic and technical aspects of doing photography is required. Also required is image editing and image production skills.

Probably even more important for a wedding photographer is organization/scheduling skills, and business skills. Critical business skills would be salesmanship, accounting, marketing, and customer relations.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey guys,

I'm looking for wedding photography training books that some of you semi-pros and pros would suggest reading. I want to get more into wedding photography, but I want to obviously train and cover all my bases first. I currently second shoot/help carry equipment for pros in my area so I can see how they do business. In my free time however, I'd like to read up. There's tons of books out there, but what is your personal favorite and what would you recommend?

Postman158

I am not a big fan of reading if I don't have to. I am more of a hands on person, but like you I was a second shooter before I started doing weddings on my own and what I found very helpful was videos. I liked Photo Vision, Creative Live, and for editing Lynda.com. Some very business savvy wedding photographers are Zach and Jody Gray! They do alot of education for photographers. If you purchase their 3 day long seminar from Creative Live you would not be disappointed. It covers all aspects of wedding photography from business, to shooting, to editing. Here is a link to their website. Help this helps. Good luck. For Photographers - Home | Zach & Jody Gray | Nashville Wedding Photographers

KmH said:
You didn't find any books as a result of your internet searches done some time in the 35 hours between post #1 and post #2?

Haven't the pros you second/help recommended any books?

What, if any, books do you already have?

At any rate, it would be wise to start building a library of Wedding Photography and related books. - Amazon.com: Wedding Photography

As mentioned a very good grounding in the artistic and technical aspects of doing photography is required. Also required is image editing and image production skills.

Probably even more important for a wedding photographer is organization/scheduling skills, and business skills. Critical business skills would be salesmanship, accounting, marketing, and customer relations.

Sure, I did do some research and found plenty of books. I was just asking for specific favorites some people may have.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
kathythorson said:
I am not a big fan of reading if I don't have to. I am more of a hands on person, but like you I was a second shooter before I started doing weddings on my own and what I found very helpful was videos. I liked Photo Vision, Creative Live, and for editing Lynda.com. Some very business savvy wedding photographers are Zach and Jody Gray! They do alot of education for photographers. If you purchase their 3 day long seminar from Creative Live you would not be disappointed. It covers all aspects of wedding photography from business, to shooting, to editing. Here is a link to their website. Help this helps. Good luck. For Photographers - Home | Zach & Jody Gray | Nashville Wedding Photographers

Awesome, thanks! I'll check that out.

No one has any books to recommend? :p
Maybe because you posted this in the 'Digital' section. ;)

The photography aspect of wedding photography is not all that complex. A good understanding of exposure is key and then mix in 'portrait' and 'group' posing and that is most of it. The real challenges are the stuff that you won't find in books...working with tight time constraints, working with uncooperative people, working in less-than-ideal locations, high pressure & stress (although that is usually self induced)....the list goes on and on. That is why most people will tell you that shooting with (or assisting, tailing) another wedding photographer is the best way to learn.

Find a good wedding photographer and ask if you can assist him. Thats what I've done and learned more than I could have with any book or DVD.

Never read a book in my life on photography, best way to learn is to take photographs.

Find a good wedding photographer and ask if you can assist him. Thats what I've done and learned more than I could have with any book or DVD.

Agreed 100%. Learn by doing, not by reading.

Most reactions

Back