Wedding Photography????

rmh159

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, I've figured this would happen eventually. I was given the heads up from my wife that my brother in law is planning on asking me to shoot his wedding.

Most of my photography to this point has been nature and landscape shots with some informal portrait work so my initial reaction was to turn down the gig. He is looking for more artist / stylized shots than traditional and he's seen my shots so he knows how what my stuff looks like.

As of now I'm really on the fence. I'd like to come through on this for him but I'm about 60% confident in my ability to truly capture a lot of good shots.

The good part is that they're planning the wedding for next December so I have plenty of time to learn and practice portraits, buy a flash (Nikon SB-800) and start studying poses and pictures.

So does anyone have any advice or tips for portrait / wedding / flash photography? I'm all ears.

Rent or buy high-end lenses. I haven't shot a wedding, but I have shot a funeral (don't ask, it was just 'unconventional'), and you WILL need f/2.8-and-under lenses.

I suggest the 12-24 f/4, 28-70 f/2.8 or 35-70 f/2.8, and 70-200 f/2.8 VR or 80-200 f/2.8.

You're also going to need a 2nd body, either one body with the telephoto and the other with a wide. I suggest getting your hands on another D50 so you won't get any controls mixed up.

and more than anything LOOK AT THIS:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20069

As you have the luxury of time, see if you can ingratiate yourself with a local wedding photog and assist him/her at a wedding or two. Should do great things for your confidence, not to mention pinning down the gear needed.

Yeah I was planning on buying the flash and renting at least one other lens and possibly a 2nd body.

Sw1tchFX said:
Rent or buy high-end lenses.

I'm going to recruit someone to help out too with getting people lined up and helping me hold things so I should be. I'm also going to a wedding in the spring where I'll know the photographer and can shoot a bit with him without the pressure of my pics being used so... while I definitely wouldn't do a wedding tomorrow I have time to plan and practice. Should be some good experience.

Thanks!

The usual advice is to politely decline. This is supposed to be a once in a life time event and when it's all said and done...all they have to remember it with is a couple of rings, a bunch of kitchen appliances...and the photos. Hiring a pro photographer should be high on the priority list. I have been asked, many times, to shoot a family member's wedding...but so far, I had always said no...but what I did offer to do was to shoot all the supplemental stuff. The bride getting ready, right to the end of the night. Only leaving the ceremony and formals for the pro.

That being said...you have plenty of time to prepare...so if you think you can do it...GO FOR IT! Get a flash and practice...a lot. Remember that you will need at least two bodies, two flashes, more than one lens, plenty of memory etc. You can borrow or rent what you need...but it's very important to have back up.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Yeah if I had to do it tomorrow I'd say no without hesitation. The only reason I'm considering it is because I could go out tomorrow and buy the equipment (perfect excuse for a flash and tripod) then I'd have a year to learn it and practice.

Plus I look at it from their point of view and I'm not sure if they have the money for a pro (I wouldn't charge). We'll see... some things to consider before making a decision and I'll talk to them both before that time comes.

Thanks for the advice and support, very much appreciated.

With regard to the portrait part and possible more...get your hands a large Stroboframe bracket and a 12X12 or 14X14 flash mount soft box...it works great!

I have mixed feelings about the hire a photographer thing... I have really mixed feelings about the never hire a cab driver photographer thing... I have serious mixed feelings about the concept that anyone who changes less than a million dollars isnt a real photographer.

If you doubt your ability don't do it.

If they have the money tell them to hire a pro and you will shoot things he doesn't and there are plenty. If you are competant and go in with the equipment you need and know how to use it, and if you do your homework for a year, go shoot the darn thing. It is a heck an experience.

mysteryscribe said:
If you doubt your ability don't do it.

If you are competant and go in with the equipment you need and know how to use it, and if you do your homework for a year, go shoot the darn thing. It is a heck an experience.

Yeah that's exactly how I'm looking at it at this point. I won't accept the gig unless I'm 100% confident that I can deliver a product that will exceed their expectations. I'd like to help out but they don't want pics that aren't of the highest quality and frankly I don't want to give pics that aren't of the highest quality. If I accept it, it will be because I have the equipment and knowledge to deliver that. So it's not like I'm approaching this with a "Oh that'd be cute... let's give it a try." mentality. I'm probably stressing it more than the B&G at this point and I trust my judgement when it comes to putting myself out there like this.

I'll just wait and see. I'd LIKE to get into portrait photography at some point and wouldn't mind getting the equipment and learning the techniques regardless of what happens with the wedding. I have a decent base knowledge so I'm confident I could pick up the new stuff quickly (especially given that I'd have a year if needed).

Most reactions

Back