Wedding Photos - Feedback needed!

skiboarder72

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshjonesphoto.com
I shot this wedding over the weekend outside of Rochester, NY. The couple is very happy with the pictures, so now I would love to hear how I can improve them in the future.

I've been shooting weddings for a few years now and I would love to get as much feedback as possible on my latest wedding. I know there are a ton of really talented people on here that I would love to hear from. I am probably going to use these photos for promotional material so I would love to hear what everyones favorites are. Thanks again for the feedback!

dsc3934me4.jpg

dsc3946qe1.jpg

dsc4108vq7.jpg

dsc4245ss7.jpg

dsc4288sy5.jpg

dsc4311xj2.jpg

dsc4344xf0.jpg

dsc4356yn6.jpg

dsc4371rb6.jpg

dsc4488ib7.jpg

dsc4510wx1.jpg

dsc4518yi6.jpg

dsc4528hi8.jpg

dsc4551yq8.jpg

dsc4559df8.jpg

dsc4566iz8.jpg

dsc4590dh8.jpg

dsc4613ns6.jpg

dsc4638nk0.jpg

dsc4649pe4.jpg

Looks like a fun wedding. #12 the bride blends into the sky a little too much. Overall they give a good feel for the wedding.

The first one does nothing for me...but they get a lot better.

Most of them are pretty good. Good exposure and nice compositions.

Some things to watch for:
The horizon is tilted in some of them. Not always a big deal, but where there is water on the horizon, it should be level.

The ultra wide angle shots can be fun and cool...but you really have to watch for people on the edges...they will get really distorted. Compose the shot and/or arrange the people so that they are farther away from the edges of your shot. That way you can get the cool distortion in the middle without making people on the edge look too weird.
With group shot try to make thing even. For example: in #4, the guy on the right is separated while the rest of the people are overlapping (touching). If they are all overlapping, then he should be too. If they are all separated, then he should be too. Of course, you can break that rule to draw attention to someone...the B&G for example.

I don't shoot enough weddings, but your shots are what I need to inspire me the next wedding shoot I do.

Very nice:)

C&C per req:
1. Nice idea, but the head of the person in the foreground image right really detracts from the shot. As well, your WB is too warm; skin tones are verging on the red.

2. Nice, but a little processed looking to me. This would have benefitted from a 2 stop grad ND and perhaps a CPOL - as mentioned, some horizons are a bit tilted.

3. Again, a nice idea, but as per one, forground intrudes. I would suggest a closer crop to remove most of the shrub image right, and some of the empty space above the bride.

4. Nice; depending on how formal the wedding (this one I assume was quite informal) watch the little details like the chap on image right with his tie askew and the fellow to his right with his hands in his pockets.

5. Nice, unfortunate about the cropped train of her dress.

6. Very good, but tilted.

7. Very nice, WB is way off in this one. As well, a larger apeture would have resulted in much less DoF and a more pleasing, softer background.

8. Very good. WB again.

9. Nice.

10. Very good, but perhaps a tighter crop?

11. Very nice.

12. As mentioned, over exposed, but good pose.

13. Good pose, good exposure, but a location that isn't ideal; the sloping land with the lake/ocean in the background causes the eye to 'wonder' a bit. I think this one would have been better shot against the grass, rather than the water (but I know for a fact I would never have noticed this at the time).

14-20. Nice 'memory' captures.

In the future, optimum feedback and critique can be provided when fewer images are posted; ideally <5.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

1 7 and 9 are look way over saturated to me. :p You also lost the sky on a couple and there are a few exposure problems here and there. Overall I think they'll be happy though. 2 is really cool btw.

I've never done a wedding, but what I can suggest is do some sharpening with some of the photos in PS. Just to help the subjects pop out a little bit, but not so much that the picture ends up looking like crap.

photographs are good but some of them are not so expressive. you need to work more on your skill rest is good.

I shot this wedding over the weekend outside of Rochester, NY. The couple is very happy with the pictures, so now I would love to hear how I can improve them in the future.

I've been shooting weddings for a few years now and I would love to get as much feedback as possible on my latest wedding. I know there are a ton of really talented people on here that I would love to hear from. I am probably going to use these photos for promotional material so I would love to hear what everyones favorites are. Thanks again for the feedback!

Nice pics. Just curious, have you been shooting weddings "professionally" for a few years?

Nice pics. Just curious, have you been shooting weddings "professionally" for a few years?

Probably since '08, considering that's when the thread was posted.

Here is my overall assessment. I am going to be hard on you so you look deeper. When you are taking on weddings, you should be able to produce pretty consistant results. These are not consistant in color, WB, or focus. I think I only see maybe two that I would say are in focus. The rest are really, really soft. Your WB is all over the place. Her dress looks blue in most of these, and your saturation is out of control. You have channels blown all over the place. Especially in #19 and #20. Your whites are blown in most of these which tells me you need more work on mastering exposure. You have alot of lens distortion. This can be fixed to an extent in LR, but it is better not even to bring it in. Know your lenses and their limits. Know your space you have to work with, so you can get the lenses you need before hand. I won't really get into skin tones, because until you master the other areas you will never get accurate tones. Or you will be behind the computer for 10x longer then you need to be, which equals less $!
What I do like. You have a clear vision. I like your composition and your candid style.
Practice the basics. WB, exposure, focus. Look at your histogram while editing, and learn to read the multiple color channels. Learn skin tones, and how exposure (+luminance) plays a role. A Expodisc or something for WB would have done you wonders for an outdoor wedding with shade and full sun. Learn your metering modes inside and out, especially for all the different lighting scenarios. Spot metering would have been your friend with her skin tones. Practice, practice, and second shoot because weddings are a whole different ballgame.

Here is my overall assessment. I am going to be hard on you so you look deeper. When you are taking on weddings, you should be able to produce pretty consistant results. These are not consistant in color, WB, or focus. I think I only see maybe two that I would say are in focus. The rest are really, really soft. Your WB is all over the place. Her dress looks blue in most of these, and your saturation is out of control. You have channels blown all over the place. Especially in #19 and #20. Your whites are blown in most of these which tells me you need more work on mastering exposure. You have alot of lens distortion. This can be fixed to an extent in LR, but it is better not even to bring it in. Know your lenses and their limits. Know your space you have to work with, so you can get the lenses you need before hand. I won't really get into skin tones, because until you master the other areas you will never get accurate tones. Or you will be behind the computer for 10x longer then you need to be, which equals less $!
What I do like. You have a clear vision. I like your composition and your candid style.
Practice the basics. WB, exposure, focus. Look at your histogram while editing, and learn to read the multiple color channels. Learn skin tones, and how exposure (+luminance) plays a role. A Expodisc or something for WB would have done you wonders for an outdoor wedding with shade and full sun. Learn your metering modes inside and out, especially for all the different lighting scenarios. Spot metering would have been your friend with her skin tones. Practice, practice, and second shoot because weddings are a whole different ballgame.

Most reactions

Back