Wedding Pictures

Duesth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
You of my co-workers got married back in June 2009. He finally got his disc of wedding pictures this past week - after 6 months - after threatening to contact a lawyer. We live in SC, the wedding was in TN and taken by a photographer from there. Looking at the pictures, I understand why she didn't want to send them. She took the ceremony, reception pictures and outside bride and groom pictures with an ISO ranging from 5000-6400. They are sooooo grainy. Any suggestions about tools to use in Photoshop CS4 - besides the reduce noise. Thanks for comments. -Melissa

There are some specific noise reduction programs. Look for Noise Ninja or Neat Image.

Post a couple examples so we can see if they are even salvageable.
Noise reduction can only do so much.

Did your friend discuss this with the photographer and see how they can arrange the photos?

Was this work representative of the photographers work in their portfolio at time of signing the contract? I assume that there was a contract...any clauses about quality of work in there?

Again, while I'm sure there are things that can be done if you have the originals or high res of the shots, my first instinct is to go to the source..the photographer

Did your friend discuss this with the photographer and see how they can arrange the photos?

Was this work representative of the photographers work in their portfolio at time of signing the contract? I assume that there was a contract...any clauses about quality of work in there?

Again, while I'm sure there are things that can be done if you have the originals or high res of the shots, my first instinct is to go to the source..the photographer

I totally agree. That is just not acceptable. I sure hope they signed a contract. They really need to talk to the photographer.

Who is the current copyright owner of the images?

If the original photographer still owns the copyright (which is likely), you technically need permission to edit the images in any way, and at the least could find labs won't print them without a print release from the photographer.

Additionally, the terms and conditions listed in the contract could come into play.

As CSR Studio says, it's not acceptable, but the photographer definately needs to be contacted and consideration given to the various legal issues before anyone starts editing photographs.

I'm also curious what the photographers fee was, but it's not pertinent.

Thanks for your all the info. I tried Neat Image but not so great. I think that this will probably turn into a legal issue (especially considering that she has totally ignored phone calls and emails). I have suggested that he contact the photographer and request at least a partial refund if not full refund (paid $1400). If she won't, then to contact a lawyer. Her website photos are great but these are not. Wedding was June 20, 2009 - they did not receive disc until 1st of Jan. Contract said 6-8 weeks. She only sent disc when he threatened to contact lawyer. I will pass on this information to him. Feel sorry for the guy and his wife. Anyway, thanks again guys. Should I be bad a write her name here? She was soooo unprofessional about this and I would hate to see this happen to anyone else.

Whatever contact you have, try and do it by registered letter. This is much more admissible if you go to court.

Make sure everything is documented. Take print screens of the work on her site to prove that what she gave as a product was not was she marketed herself as. I was told that if you want a photo up in your portfolio, you need to be able to reproduce this shot 100% of the time on your own.

Step 1 ask to have the photos fixed
Step 2 ask for a refund if step 1 doesnt work
Step 3 sue for said refund

Again...documentation is KEY for courts. Get as much as you can.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back