Wedding portraits c&c

Vik880

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took pictures for a friend, taboo and dangerous i know, but i live on the wild side. While these shots blow others away i would like this forums' thoughts. Thanks in advance.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371515575.178618.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371515591.596142.jpg

they both look underexposed.
#1 could have benefited from some fill flash, and I don't think cutting most of the guy out, but leaving his arm and part of his head really benefited the photo much. this one might have been better shot in portrait orientation with both people in the frame.
#2 would be better without the vignetting, and having their feet in the frame, maybe with just a little bit of the road still in the foreground. Otherwise, I like the framing on that one.

Have you ever had an internal battle between what you like and what you know makes a good portrait? I feel like i experience that a lot.

Have you ever had an internal battle between what you like and what you know makes a good portrait? I feel like i experience that a lot.

YES! And usually the answer lies somewhere in between the two. It's that whole "know when to break the 'rules'" thing.

I see what you were going for, in both photos, but mostly the first. One of my favorite locals is really good at this kind of thing - check out her blog for some ideas on how to frame that kind of shot: Rebekah Hoyt

Depends on who i am shooting for.
If i am shooting for myself, i only have to please myself.
If i am shooting for a client, i only have to please that client.
In some sense, you have to figure out who you want/need to please with a shoot and start from there.

I agree with Pixmedic and will add that my first impression of #1 is that she's about to take a large and savage bite out of his arm.
Could you tone down the red in her face and add some fill light in post?

Neither says "Wedding" to me....the framing on #1 looks like an accidental (Oops, I hit the shutter button) snapshot.. not a wedding shot. It is also underexposed and color is off (as mentioned above). Fill would have helped immensely.

#2... underexposed... and feet are missing. The vignette does not help it at all!

Anyone blown away by these (Facebook friend, no doubt?) knows nothing about basic composition, or the technical side of photography.

They are both underexposed and your WB is way off. #1 you can't see the brides eyes at all or the groom. #2 is a bad foot chop. The vignetting is way overdone and looks very amatuer.

Neither says "Wedding" to me....the framing on #1 looks like an accidental (Oops, I hit the shutter button) snapshot.. not a wedding shot. It is also underexposed and color is off (as mentioned above). Fill would have helped immensely.

#2... underexposed... and feet are missing. The vignette does not help it at all!

Anyone blown away by these (Facebook friend, no doubt?) knows nothing about basic composition, or the technical side of photography.

OOF background always blows my facebook friends away. "You have a 'big' camera? You must have a photography business!"

Your responses are both educating and thought provoking. Thank you very much.

Most reactions

Back