wedding shots

try family in the tent in the rain storm. It was summer at least...
357h62q.jpg

My son in law says i always shot too many family pics at a wedding but since I was well organized I could get away with it. Here is how I used to do it. You don't have to do it this way of course lots of people cut out most of these and do just fine. But I always remember the bride who said when viewing the shots. Im so glad you included aunt hilda she died the next week. Sent a shiver down my spine.

So what I said after the group shots of the wedding party was everyone one in the room who was related to the bride two hours ago come on up on the alter. Aunts uncles brother sisters cousines ect.

After I shot them then I would say, "If you aren't a mother father sister or brother or husband go sit down." Then I would shoot the immediate family.

After those I would say If you are a mother, father or husband stay everyone else be seated. Now sometimes you still had an alter full at this point.

After that it was the bride with her parents then I started over with the groomes side. It actually takes longer to write than to shoot. Well almost. When you are done with this 15 minutes of your life you can forget them and know that you did all you could do for the family. You dont have to worry about anyone complaining and it only took a minute.

AprilRamone said:
Groomsmen pictures....kind of hard because I've noticed that most guys don't really want to pose for pictures and especially for not more than like 5 minutes! Here is what I attempted to get at one of the weddings I did this summer.

Another thing I have found with the guys, they always want to stand with their hands clasped in front of them. It never looks good but it is so hard to get them to stand with their arms down at their sides. One photographer that used to work for me called it the fig leaf pose. :lmao:

and after you shoot the group shots it's on to the reception.

The cake.
cutting the cake
drinking the toast
the first dance with all it's variation/
trying to find some way to shoot the electric slide that looks lime more than a police lineup.
Deal with the jerk DJ
toss the bouquet
toss the garter
more dancing shots that nobody is ever going to buy.
The happy couple leave the reception to a rain of birdsead and bubbles.

time to go home and have a very stiff drink.

Now about that book on what to shoot at a wedding. We just saved you ten bucks.

I wonder why every mother insists on a shot of the table at the reception then nobody every gives it a thought. Oh well here is one note the absance of a reflection of my flash. I have no idea how that happened with all that glass at all those angels one should have refected at least from the door.
4hbal9x.jpg

I always try to get the mother of the groom kissing him:
003_3A_0001.jpg

If there's a ringbearer, get him kissing the bride (in this case, it was her son)
015_15_0005.jpg

groom kissing his bride's shoulder if it's bare
100_4425_edited-1.jpg

100_4411_edited-1.jpg

and of course, some candid shot of the bride rushing to the bathroom (or outhouse which was really a shed here)
012_12_0001.jpg

bride and groom kissing under her veil, bride with her dad, some "racy" shots of the bride in her lingere that she is wearing under her dress, any shots that show the true relationship between the two. And of course, the groom and his men in sunglasses. I got so many "traditional" and not-so-traditional shots that I love getting.

ladyphotog said:
Another thing I have found with the guys, they always want to stand with their hands clasped in front of them. It never looks good but it is so hard to get them to stand with their arms down at their sides. One photographer that used to work for me called it the fig leaf pose. :lmao:

:lol: strange, I had more issues with the bride and her bridal party wanting to pose than I did with the groom and the groomsmen. :er: But once I started to include both sides, they really got into it.
023_24_edit.jpg

Here is my checklist of shots to get at the wedding:

I arrive about an hour to an hour and a half before the ceremony, I start with the bride and then shoot the groom:
Bride, full-length, 3/4 and close-up
Bride with maid or matron of honor
Bride putting on garter and putting sixpense in shoe
Bride with mom
Bride with parents
Bride with bridemaids
Any special people that are there, flower girl, grandparents, etc.
A few special ones of the bride, the window shot, etc.
Groom, full-length, 3/4 and close-up
Groom with best man
Groom with mom
Groom with parents
Groom with groomsmen
Any special people that are there, ring bearer, grandparents, etc.
A few special ones of the groom, him with her ring, mom kissing his cheek, etc.

Then right before the ceremony, I shoot the bride and her dad or whoever is giving her away.

Ceremony:
Bride and father going down aisle
Father giving bride away (shot available light, usually 1/2 at 5.6)
Vows (available light again)
Exchanging rings (available light)
Other special moments, unity candle, prayer, etc. (available light)
Kiss (available light)
Introduction (available light)
Bride and groom coming back up aisle
Bridemaids and groomsmen coming back up aisle (they usually don't buy these but they are nice to have)
Parents and grandparents coming back up aisle (again they usually don't buy them)

Groups: (these usually only take about 15 minutes so they can get to their reception)
Bride and groom with wedding party
Bride and groom with brides family
Bride and groom with grooms family
Bride with groomsmen
Groom with bridesmaids
Any special requests from bride and groom
Bride and groom, full-length, 3/4 and close-up
Bride and groom, romantic shots, looking at rings, kissing, in front of church, etc. (I want as few people around as possible for these so I do them last)

Reception:
Bride and groom leaving church to go to reception
Bride and groom arriving at reception
Introduction of bride and groom at reception (if any)
Mingling with guests
Guests at tables
Shots of tables, food, wedding cake, grooms cake, etc.
Dancing, bride and groom, bride with father, groom with mom, bride with father-in-law, groom with mother-in-law, bride with best man, groom with maid of honor, other special people dancing (if any)
Cutting the cake
Feeding each other
The kiss after feeding each other that always happens (don't want to miss this one, they always love it)
The toast and drinking
Any other toasts, best man, fathers, etc.
Some candids of the bride and groom special moments together (they love these too)
Throwing the bouquet and garter
Throwing rice
Leaving the reception
If the bride and groom are staying at the hotel or house you are at, it is always nice to get a shot of the groom carrying the bride over the threshold.

the checklist is a good thing.

I have no idea where mine is since I stopped using one years ago but that is what i kept in my mind as i shot.

segmented by things before during and after there ceremony. Then things at the reception. Don't think I ever had a couple staying at the same place the wedding was being held but I might have.

mysteryscribe said:
So you reckon there is enough information here for a new photographer to shoot his cousin's wedding.

I would hope so! ;)

4c12ddh.jpg
I

I really had decided to not put anymore photos up on this thread but I ran accross this one and thought I really should put it up and make a note.

Now let me explain why... there is a lot said here about equipment. The right equipment is important but equipment does not make a photographer and lack of it does not cripple a real photographer.

It has been said that I shoot poor to mediocre portraits and that is most likely true. I still shot them and brides and their moms still hung them on their walls. No not because they are beautiful, but because it is their child and it is an acceptable print.

Point here is that if you need to make a portrait and dont have a studio handy you can use just about any front light and a back light to kill the shadows but that isnt even really needed. You can shoot them with a bounce light front against a contrasting wall.

If you concentrate on the subject and get that right, you can clean the rest up. The parents will love it because of who it is, but only if it is a competant, and acceptable shot. A competant shot does not require a fancy studio or fancy lights. It does require that you have some feel for your subject, some knowledge of composition, and even some basic knowledge of photography. The more of each the more likely it is to wind up in a text book but just a little will still thrill a parent.

That is my opinion for what it is worth. Yeah it goes counter to a lot of others but hell I'm entitled to mine.

I like to get a staged humorous photo or two. It definately works best with subjects who aren't too self conscious.

Bride driving off in Groom's jeep with the best man.

keller273.jpg

Father of the Bride keeping an eye on the Groom before the ceremony.

keller056.jpg

Show me your power move!

Min__026.jpg

Jazz hands

Min__020.jpg

Charlie's Angels

IMG_4745.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back