Weekly challenge 1/5 - 1/11 Black and White landscapes

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For this week's challenge, let's get out there and work out our post holiday winter blues with some black and white landscape therapy. See the beauty in our bleak winter foliage, early sunsets and gray skies. Try to post at least 4 images this week. Here are some links to help you with this challenge:

6 Tips to Help You Make Better Black and White Landscape Photos

5 Black and White Landscape Photography Tips

Five Tips for Shooting Black and White Landscapes

As always - new photos only please! Get out there and shoot.

Last edited:
She'll be coming round the mountain -
Christmas20190102_0320.jpg

I should add that for those in the sunny southern states or southern hemisphere, feel free to post your non bleak photos, lol.

I should add that for those in the sunny southern states or southern hemisphere, feel free to post your non bleak photos, lol.

The train was actually shot on a cold, rainy, bleak day. The colors were washed out horrible, hence the b&W

The train was actually shot on a cold, rainy, bleak day. The colors were washed out horrible, hence the b&W

That comment was in no way related to your photo. I was thinking of our FL and Aussie TPF members.

This should be an interesting challenge. There are several members that see in black/white.

And....a perfect 2019 to you all!

Landscapes have not been "my thing" for about 45 years. As a teenager I regularly traveled around Germany, Belgium, France, Denmark and England to capture beautiful landscapes, picturesque villages etc. with my Nikon F and Nikkormat Ftn, but later on, being a professional photographer (specialized in model/fashion and product photography) I've never really found time to do anything in this specific direction. I think, it's really something I've to pick up again.

Last edited:
Good timing for me. Was going to go into the seedy part of Detroit today for a project shoot. I was fired up for it but my brother backed out on me last minute. I was going to teach him how to manage the hood when street shooting. I think he was scared, which is OK but he doesn't hear me when I tell tell him, "most people are good" , it's the 5 % you have to watch out for. This will work in it's place. I am not a landscape guy

TPFBWLAN19 (1).jpg

TPFBWLAN19 (2).jpg

TPFBWLAN19 (3).jpg

TPFBWLAN19 (4).jpg

Fuji X-E1 + Meike 6.5mm circular fisheye lens
So, time for some experiments this week: combination of positive and negative layers.

Last edited:
So, time for some experiments this week: combination of positive and negative layers.

Interesting, years ago I used something similar in the darkroom. I'd sandwich a positive and negative film and expose a print, which would yield a line drawing. By shifting the layers slightly you could vary the width of the lines.

Nice Photos guys. I just joined today my new camera will be here monday hopefully I can get something in in time for this one

Welcome. The thread stays open to new posts after the deadline so feel free to add to it whenever you like.

Interesting, years ago I used something similar in the darkroom. I'd sandwich a positive and negative film and expose a print, which would yield a line drawing. By shifting the layers slightly you could vary the width of the lines.

Yes, indeed. To obtain a very thin and uniform line over the entire image, I always did positive and negative on top of a sheet of lith film (Agfa O81) and then this "package" was rotated on a small turntable in the light beam of the enlarger. The head of the enlarger was placed at an angle of 45 degrees. The thickness of the line could be influenced by adding 1 or more transparent lith films between positive and negative. The lithfilm could be conversed, colored, printed etc. Man, I long for the analogue darkroom techniques...

Most reactions

Back