Weekly challenge 10/14 - 10/20 Negative Space

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For this week’s challenge, use negative space as your composition technique. Think beyond your subject. Negative space should take up more of your frame than your subject. Some compositions will be obvious but others you’ll need to think about how you can frame your subject with negative space. Move around, zoom in or out, get low or get high (!), look for a POV that isolates your subject. Take a minute when framing your subject to think about how the negative space will impact the photo. Feel free to post a photo of that lone tree silhouetted on the open prairie or that church steeple or lighthouse in an otherwise empty sky, but try to also go beyond the cliche and get creative!

Understanding and Using "Negative Space" in Photography | Photography Mad

https://expertphotography.com/how-to-use-negative-space-in-photography-for-more-powerful-images/

Minimalism: Using Negative Space In Your Photographs

I'm not positive this is negative. I need to visit the links.

negative-1.jpg

Saturday morning at work. iPhone SE.
_IMG_7818iPhone SE_Dodge truck sunrise-2.JPG

" Dodge Truck Sunrise ". Even came with the telltale iPhone SE tiny, green sun flare spot! Processed using the Lightroom 3.6 "Direct Positive" preset.

Last edited:
This is a heavy crop but I didn’t spot the two people on the right until I was processing the photo. Tried to bring the focus to them with the negative space of the big sky.

Most reactions

Back