Weekly challenge 6/1 - 6/7 The Unexpected Composition

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How often do we stick to the rules and end up with the same photo over and over? The landscape with the horizon off center and some foreground interest, the flower perfectly composed and in focus, the portrait with the head tilted just so or the still life composed precisely using the rule of thirds... Classic or cliche? Let's get out of our comfort zones and try to expand our imaginations a bit. I confess I have totally stolen this idea from someone else with only a few modifications.

1 - Pick a focal length - can be anything you like but you cannot change mid challenge. If you pick 45mm on your 18-55 then you must stay at 45mm.
2 - Pick a subject - anything you want
3 - Pick a spot to stand - you cannot move away from that place. You can squat or lean or bend but you cannot move to a different spot
4 - Now shoot 25 different compositions of your subject from that spot. Yes that's right, 25. Sorry film people...

note - if your subject is a person, just having them change pose is not a new composition

Share a few of the best unusual compositions. Note where in the order of the 25 your favorites were taken. Ex. this was photo #14. You can do this once for the week or several times or every day - the choice is yours. If you participate more than once you can change steps 1-3 for each attempt.

As always new photos only please. I'm posting this a day early because I'll be offline most of tomorrow so if you want to start early you can ignore the start date above and have at it.

That's OK, I could squeeze 25 onto a roll of 24... Of course that's living on the edge, it would mean a couple of double/overlapped exposures at the end!

These were taken today using a sigma DP1 wide angle compact, which I'll stick to for this challenge.

skate 1 - 1.jpg

skate 3 - 1.jpg

skate 8 - 1.jpg

It's very difficult to decide which shots to include in the posts. Perhaps I'll add one or two more from the local skater park later.

I chose a 105mm for the shots. My subject was "things seen from Mokchokyo Bridge."

Multiple exposure with 3 frames at f/29
2 by Machiavelliar, on Flickr

To my left
47983335553_d2e807a6c8_z.jpg

To the left below me
8 by Machiavelliar, on Flickr

To my right
3 by Machiavelliar, on Flickr

To my right below me
4 by Machiavelliar, on Flickr

Right under me.
7 by Machiavelliar, on Flickr

I am going to have to find something better to shoot later in the week but in the spirit of experimenting I simply leaned one of my guitars against a white section of wall and shot away. These are numbers 3 and 14. The best were shot bouncing the built-in flash off my hand -- imparted a pinkish hue to the image but the DOH was so narrow that some of the subject was out of focus.

I was standing to the side. These were shot with live view leaning around the front of the subject.

I assume no post editing so these are straight out of the camera, after resizing.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I interpreted the assignment a little differently: shoot the same subject from different angles.

This jumped out at me this evening as I walked past the garden. A beam of sunlight through the trees lit this guy up.

These are 5 and 3 respectively. I shot many different angles/compositions but the sun disappeared quickly and without it the shots were boring.

Unedited.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

50% crop within an image that was pre-visualized at 100%. One roll of film (for challenge) for single shot. 24 Exposures. Shot 24 out of 25. 50-135 Nikkor Ais with 6T, Color Plus 200, Nikon F. I chose to use the 6T close up lens on the last two shots. Developed C41 kit. I was after a much different composition, an old time shaving kit display in the window of the cool store.

NIKFCP200.jpg

Last edited:
On 04 June I awakened looking up at the ceiling in the bedroom. I figured that this might lend itself to this week's challenge.
I grabbed my Fuji X100F with the teleconverter on it. This makes it as if I were shooting with a nifty 50 on a full frame camera (33mm lens x 1.5 APS-C = 50mm full frame). I began by using the viewfinder and altering my point of view without moving my feet. Then I progressed (maybe digressed is more accurate) to shooting blind like we did for a challenge a few weeks back. I ended up with 47 exposures, 25 of which were combined into a contact sheet for here. If I have time in between all the work around the house and yard, I might take a couple of these and work on them further.

Ceiling_Fan_ContactSheet

Last edited:
I've been swamped at work, so instead of going someplace interesting I took a bunch of phone pics while working with my son in our onions. Taken while sitting in the driver's seat, tough to call these 'compositions.'
Steering.jpeg
Floor.jpeg

Window.jpeg

Radio.jpeg

Do they even put lighters in vehicles anymore? I'm not a smoker, but as a kid the lighter got used on bottle rockets and firecrackers - often.
Lighter.jpeg

On 04 June I awakened looking up at the ceiling in the bedroom. I figured that this might lend itself to this week's challenge.
I grabbed my Fuji X100F with the teleconverter on it. This makes it as if I were shooting with a nifty 50 on a full frame camera (33mm lens x 1.5 APS-C = 50mm full frame). I began by using the viewfinder and altering my point of view without moving my feet. Then I progressed (maybe digressed is more accurate) to shooting blind like we did for a challenge a few weeks back. I ended up with 47 exposures, 25 of which were combined into a contact sheet for here. If I have time in between all the work around the house and yard, I might take a couple of these and work on them further.

Ceiling_Fan_ContactSheet

Well, photo 190604xf-8481.dng for me!

50% crop within an image that was pre-visualized at 100%. One roll of film (for challenge) for single shot. 24 Exposures. Shot 24 out of 25. 50-135 Nikkor Ais with 6T, Color Plus 200, Nikon F. I chose to use the 6T close up lens on the last two shots. Developed C41 kit. I was after a much different composition, an old time shaving kit display in the window of the cool store.

View attachment 174345
I really like this. I hear the “boxer” verses from Simon and Garfunkel’s Hazy Shade of Winter when I look at it.

Ceiling_Fan_ContactSheet

This was exactly what I considered doing but we got a new puppy on Saturday so I’ve been busy chasing her wiggly little cuteness around. Every time I pick up my camera she tries to eat something or jumps in my lap.

Most reactions

Back