Weekly challenge 9/28 - 10/4 Shape up!

so beautiful

For this week’s challenge, post photos that use shapes as the subject. Or, ***advanced level***, as a compositional element in your photo.

As a subject - Geometric shapes have straight, defined edges. In photography, these types of shapes are most common in man-made structures. If you live in a city, obviously architecture will offer many opportunities. If you live in a rural area you’ll have to work harder for this one! Think about the way the shape(s) interact with the other elements in your photo. Shape is the main idea but look for texture or color to add to the photo.

Geometric shapes and diagonals in photography - Snoopy Alien

21 Clever Uses of Geometric Patterns in Photography

As a compositional element - use shapes to make your composition strong and dramatic. If you’ve never consciously used shapes when composing, you’ve definitely done it unconsciously. Look at some of your own favorite photos and try to pick out the shapes that make it a strong composition. Triangles are the easiest to pick out and add a lot of visual appeal.

Advanced Composition: Using Geometry

How to Use Line, Shape and Form in Photography Composition

As always, new photos only please for the weekly challenge. Get out there and shoot!

My squiggly succulent.

5FB71A20-B2DC-4A46-A374-633A4F639B50.jpeg

@SquarePeg Didn't you just pick up a "new" wide lens? Any of these shot with it? Regardless how's it working out?

Yes I got a used Samyang 12mm. I used it for the Milky Way photos and the Legend of the clam trees photo but I think the ones in this thread were all shot with my trusty 18-55. If it says 50mm in Flickr it's the 12. I forgot to change the manual setting for focal length exif.

I'm not a huge fan of wide for landscapes - I really bought that for astro stuff but I did use it a few times on the beach. I need to work on my mf skills! I'll post a few of them in that thread about the lens. Thanks for reminding me.

Most reactions

Back