Weekly challenge - best of 2017 12/30 - 1/5

I am moving forward. Sorry to say, I have absolutely no interest in doing this thread. Nothing wrong with it but I prefer to just try and bite off chucks of improvement. I am not being pretentious, I think the thread is great viewing candy.

I am moving forward. Sorry to say, I have absolutely no interest in doing this thread. Nothing wrong with it but I prefer to just try and bite off chucks of improvement. I am not being pretentious, I think the thread is great viewing candy.
Appreciate your candor. I find that looking through my portfolio to see what I consider to be "good/best" helps me find what I like and dislike in photography in general, as well as where and how to improve in the future.

Appreciate your candor. I find that looking through my portfolio to see what I consider to be "good/best" helps me find what I like and dislike in photography in general, as well as where and how to improve in the future.

I agree, I just do it on a monthly or sometime a weekly basis, comparing to my journal notes. I really do not do much pleasure shooting, I mainly do project shooting. My refection shots are an example of what I like to shoot on a personal level. I like to spend time looking at the various photography books and seeing if I am making progress.

I agree, I just do it on a monthly or sometime a weekly basis, comparing to my journal notes. I really do not do much pleasure shooting, I mainly do project shooting. My refection shots are an example of what I like to shoot on a personal level. I like to spend time looking at the various

I worry sometimes that the Marine in you becomes more about the next mission then reflections on the enjoyment of a pleasurable endeavour. Sometimes I like to just set back and take in the beauty of an image, not critique it or improve it just enjoy. Photography for me is strictly for personal enjoyment, as is every image I shoot. Of course I seek to improve, I know I've improved, I know I've a long way to go, but I'm under no schedules, restrictions, or expectations. I'm free to explore, and that my friend is my definition of the ideal hobby.

I decided, finally, that rather than be disappointed I didn't have my DSLR for this moment, to be glad I have a phone that takes good pictures!

bridgeport-1 - Copy.jpg

I decided, finally, that rather than be disappointed I didn't have my DSLR for this moment, to be glad I have a phone that takes good pictures!

I think your glass was more than half full here! What a great scene. I do the same thing sometimes when I kick myself for not having my camera but you're right. Having just about any phone these days is a million times better than the options even as little as 10 years ago.

I've seen a lot of photographers that would be more than willing to claim this one. It's a great shot!!!

I think your glass was more than half full here! What a great scene. I do the same thing sometimes when I kick myself for not having my camera but you're right. Having just about any phone these days is a million times better than the options even as little as 10 years ago.

I've seen a lot of photographers that would be more than willing to claim this one. It's a great shot!!!

:) Thanks very much. There's a fair chance I would have screwed up and lost the shot with the DSLR, anyway!

Following zulu's lead, I'll be grateful for pretty good cameras on today's cell phones as well. Here are a couple of my favorite work photos from this year; a sunset while I was planting peas this spring and a summer storm moving through over a field of sugar beets.
PlantPeas.jpg

Beets.jpg

Most reactions

Back