Weekly challenge EXTENDED 3/20 - 4/2 Water

Very cool shots! I have been wanting to try some splash photos. I’ll need to watch a few tutorials as I have no idea how it’s done. Are you using ocf?

Whatever the right way is, I'm sure I didn't do it. I filled a pot full of water and submerged two lume cubes in it. I put a nifty fifty on the camera and stopped it down to f8 for a little more depth of field. I jacked the ISO up to 6400. The shutter speed ended up at 1/6400. I held the coin where it would enter the water, set focus, and then turned auto focus off. In electronic shutter mode, the camera will shoot 20 frames per second. Even at that it took a couple of sequences to get what I wanted.

Interesting approach to this. I’m still wanting a cube but haven’t gotten one yet. I would think flash to freeze motion would be easier but the timing would have to be perfected. I’ve seen some very cool milk splash photos in one of my FB groups that I’ve been wanting to try. I’ll have to see if anyone linked a tutorial.

This first one is amazing. Are you shooting these with film? Fuji? Something else? I can’t remember what you’re using these days.

Nikon F2, Nikkor 25-50 AIS, Tri-X 400 @200 (to get a little detail in blacks) short roll 12 exp, Rodinal 1+50 for 9 minutes, agitate for first 10s then 1 gentle inversion every 2 minutes. Slight curve adjustment and crop in Gimp. Shot the lens @ f5.6 for 1/500s, overcast by choice (soft box effect). The 25-50 has become my main Nikkor lens as it has a unique lens render that I can't quite explain (magazine or postcard look?). The character is amplified when developing in Rodinal or shooting slide film. It is less amplified with C41 but still very pleasing to my eyes. Out of the C41, Portra 400 (@200) makes this rendering delightful and makes you want to shoot it only. Its a cool lens at 50mn for portraits when shooting older people.

The color ones in the start of the thread were the X100V with the ND filter enabled. My main camera is the F2, followed by the 100V. I use the GFX50R for studio type work, still life, product, and portraits.

Last edited:
..from the "don't throw it out, might be useful someday" department, a piece of shiny silver packing cardboard from an electric hair curler. It somehow refracts light into colours.

IMGP7925ecs.jpg

IMGP7927ecs.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back