Weevils Wobble...

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
..and look quite like tamanduas! I shot this this past week, and couldn't get over how much this thing looked like a tamandua from the side. It was the first weevil I've ever seen, ever. So I was super excited that he was cooperative! :D

Weevil:
DSC_7128.jpg

Cropped:
DSC_7128C.jpg

Tamandua:
Tamandua.jpg

And one more:
DSC_7131.jpg

Please coment :)
Mark

Neat! Great first shot, though loooks a little hot on the nose. I can see some details creeping in on the crop and if you show RAW I'm betting if you double process the RAW (ie process it again and, keeping all else the same turn the exposure slider down) you could restore the details in that area - then its just a case of blending it into the main photo with layermasks.

Considering what you've already got with the shot I'd consider it more than worth the effort and far better than trying to use the burn tool, which won't really restore the details from the photo once you're out of raw processing and generally sends whites more grey.

Thank you. It's probably like that because I seem to have misplaced my LQ-107 diffuser. I have NO IDEA where it went, and isn't anyplace I would think that I would have put it. Anyhow, I was only left to use my knock-off fong lightsphere as the SB-600s diffuser. It really worked pretty nice, I'd say! But, that also meant there was alot of light loss and the flash was about 1/2" (literally!) away from the little guy's face. But I will definitely give it another go with the highlights. I didn't notice it the first time around, so what you're seeing is probably blown out from my curves adjustment, and will be fairly easy to fix from the RAW file.

Thanks for pointing that out!
Mark

Nice shots! Strange critter! lol!

I really like the second pic as well! Nice shootin' Mark! Very high magnification, and good image quality.

Lol at the thread title,

What did you shoot this with?

Thanks Derrel!

Lol at the thread title,What did you shoot this with?

Nikon D300s
Sigma 180mm f/3.5 EX DG HSM APO IF Macro
Nikon SB-600
Gary Fong Lightsphere knock-off

Mark

Last edited:
Second shot is the first cropped - I think. I like the first, let's see the whole critter! Good shots all of them (except #3 where the eye seems out of focus :lol:). The first two the tip of the nose appears slightly out of focus but not bad. Lighting is about right with good enough shadowing to show depth. The neutral backdrop might not be best for this, mostly, monochromatic subject but its hard to change the background color!

Second shot is the first cropped - I think. Bingo. It says "Cropped" over the photo. lol I like the first, let's see the whole critter! Good shots all of them (except #3 where the eye seems out of focus :lol:). The first two the tip of the nose appears slightly out of focus but not bad. Lighting is about right with good enough shadowing to show depth. The neutral backdrop might not be best for this, mostly, monochromatic subject but its hard to change the background color! He was on a tree stump. That's what the background is. Not too much to work with here. :)

Thanks Derrel!
Lol at the thread title,What did you shoot this with?
Nikon D300sSigma 180mm f/3.5 EX DG HSM APO IF MacroNikon SB-600Gary Fong Lightsphere knock-offMark

Whew.. thats a lot of letters. Yeah, my apologies for them not being spaced out better. I forgot my ipad doesn't like to move the line down when I press enter on this forum. -_-

Still a great picture! Thanks!

Message written in red.

Mark

I have found a few species of weevil. They are usually pretty easy to shoot.
Nice shots.. I always call them Gonzo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back