Weight of lense - advice

Mystwalker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just got a 70-200mm F/2.8L IS
It is pretty heavy :(

I do not mind the weight itself, but am concerned that it may damage camera if I do not carry it around correctly.

With the lense (28-135) that came with camera, I can hang camera around neck. The 70-200 seem so much heavier - is "hanging around neck" going to risk damaging the camera connection areas? I guess I should use on a monopod, but then I got the IS so I do not have to do that all the time.

i was in the same boat... ive just brought the 100-400L for my canon 350D. Its alot heavier than the 70-200, however ive found the lock on the lens is pretty good, and its nice an secure when on the camera. I have it hanging from my neck 99% of the time, but do try to keep one hand on the lens.

Normally opt for holding the lens with my left hand and not holding the camera at all. I would keep a hold of it whenever you can this will limit any damage, but i can see no problems.

Maybe longterm, but i guess if your buying 100-400 and 70-200 L lenses, maybe a cheap body wont stay with you too long.

As for the mono pod, i have one whihc i can leave connected to the lens, and just extend it when needed, although even for nature shots etc, with enough light, which the 2.8 will get you should be ok hand held in most situations. Im only saying this because i have the 100-400, and pretty unsteady hands.. suffer from shaking alot, but hand no troubles shooting hand held, once you get a decent grip and stance.

Unless you actually bang the camera/lens into something...it shouldn't have any problems.

Your neck and back, on the other hand, may develop problems if you have that thing around your neck all day.

Maybe use a longer strap and carry it around your neck & shoulder...or get a bag that will hold it more securely (maybe a sling style bag.).

Honestly I dont think a lens like that is much of a "hang around the neck" lens. With mine I use my strap for safety but try not to rely on it just dangling there. I imagine if I had a better body (at least a D300) that would not be a concern for me but since I decided to go for glass first and bought the D70s I have to hold onto things while I shoot.

Just got a 70-200mm F/2.8L IS
It is pretty heavy :(

I do not mind the weight itself, but am concerned that it may damage camera if I do not carry it around correctly.

Congrat with it, look so cool to me, but yeah it is 1.5 kg.
Monopod can be great relief for long work I think.

If you use it for professional works maybe it is good idea to insure it aginst work related damage for all your equipments, and claim it on tax. Make sense?

Unless you actually bang the camera/lens into something...it shouldn't have any problems.

Your neck and back, on the other hand, may develop problems if you have that thing around your neck all day.

Maybe use a longer strap and carry it around your neck & shoulder...or get a bag that will hold it more securely (maybe a sling style bag.).
A TFP camera strap? :lol:

I wouldn't hang lenses like that off of the mount... epecially if you are using a Rebel.

My 100-400L lives on a monopod when in use so I usually carry it by the monopod. I also have a piece of cardboard in my camera bag (between the liner and external canvas) that gives the bag some "stiff shape". The bag lays at my side wide open which allows for me to "drop" the lens+body in lens first with the body still attached when I'm using another camera.

btw... the 100-400L is lighter than the 70-200 f2.8 IS L.

Thanks for advice.
I will get a stronger camera strap, and keep it attached to monopod. I can't figure out how to remove the tripod ring so may as well make use of it :)

Loosen the tripod ring by turning the knob.
The Tripod ring will not rotate freely.
You have to line up the notch on the ring itself to allow it to slip rearward.

Most reactions

Back