weird artefacts- possible lens flare?

Yes my conclusion is that this must be a dust related artefact. I don't see other explanations. Remains the question what kind of dust we need to get this.

Yes my conclusion is that this must be a dust related artefact. I don't see other explanations. Remains the question what kind of dust we need to get this.

Anyone smoking in that room? Anything that could possibly be producing a mist, like a coffee pot, crock pot, Nesco. (rice cooker? :wink:) Some kind of particle in the air.

I won't say 100% but it looks like something floating in the air, reflecting the light from the flash. If you want some examples where I had pictures with odd results like this, I have many bad pictures I've taken over the years, with UFOs and artifacts. :lol:

If you want to be tortured, I can scan some of them as examples of what not to do. If there's something that can go wrong, I've either done it already, or I'm going to some day soon.

(edit: I looked again, my opinion is that all those little candles on the tray with the flowers are burning and producing tiny little particles of soot. That's my best guess)

I have a Sony T30 and it often takes pictures with artifacts like that. I'll try to dig up a few pics later to show. The artifacts are definitley random so it's not a dirty lens and etc. I am putting my suspicions heavily toward dust and moisture in the air (depending on where you are). I can't remember if this happens only with flash or not, but off the top of my head, it seem to happen the most when flash is used. Maybe the angle of the onboard flash vs the distance of the said dust/moisture to the lens that is causing the particle in the air to reflect the flash back into the lense? Whew...that was a long sentence :lol:.

hmm, in one of the images the larges artifact has a clone in the window. But it is not a reflection in the glass as it is also on the wooden part. It seems to be exactly identical in size and structure, so I would say what we see is all the same "ghost image" of one and the same "thing" (particle, or whatever). I do not believe it is anything floating in the air, since the colour finges really remind me of something glass related.

.. BTW, WHAT are people doing on that image, and why are there so many randomly distributed IKEA-lamps-balls ;)

Yes the one on the window is exactly same in size as the large one, and it is on top of the wood. Only differnce is that it has a red spot in the middle which the main one does not have.

If this is glass related, I would expect the same artefacts in the photo taken just before it? The big lamps just came with the room, this is not at someone's home.

Particles from the candles on the floor? I asked about it and they were off. Only two in the window were maybe on.

People were said to be dancing. I was not there.

Here is a couple of pics my wife took with the Sony T30. Notice the artifacts are all different between the two pictures. And it was not foggy or rainy that night.

12567-DSC05809.JPG

12567-DSC05805.JPG

itsme,

thanks for posting these.
Do they have the same fine structure as the disks in my photos?

ive seen those same "artifacts" in a few shots ive taken too. its from the flash reflecting off of dust in the air.

i took pictures of a friends apartment after a fire and the shots had a lot of those spots so i took a couple shots after we left the apartment to make sure my lens was still clean, and the spots were gone.

i resized one of the shots i took to show an example.

some of the spots are round, like in your shots, and some are the shape of the aperture so i guess the shape depends on angle or distance. maybe it has something to do with the shape and size of the dust particles too. im not sure.

3ec1af7a.jpg

Looks like I might try to reproduce these artefacts by creating some smoke and then using the flash.

In woo-woo circles, these artifacts are known as "orbs" and are attributed by said woo-woos to the paranormal. As mentioned many times above, the culprits are dust motes illuminated by the flash.

In woo-woo circles, these artifacts are known as "orbs" and are attributed by said woo-woos to the paranormal. As mentioned many times above, the culprits are dust motes illuminated by the flash.

Thank you so much for giving me the keyword "orb" I had some very entertaining google-session ;)

"orb photos can be easily explained away as energy fields not perceived by the naked eye"

hmmm... today I realised something ... I wear glasses, and did not clean them this morning ,so there was still dust on them from yesterday when I drove to work this morning.

The sun was pretty low and coming from the side, so the dust on my glasses was really annoyingly visible, but out of focus.

I then focussed on the dust specs on my glasses (at the traffic light, not while driving :p ) .. and wohaaa ... those dust paticles looked exactly like those circular things we can see in the images posted here!

So I suppose if the dust if floating a bit further away so they are more in focus anyway, you just see it as in those images.

I just heard that someone else who was there with another camera has very similar artefacts on photo. Hope to post it ASAP.

OK here they are.
They asked me to blur out the faces, which I did I. I think it's obvious which are the blurred out faces and which one is the artefact :wink:

I made a noncompressed cutout of the artefact as well.

I was told this photo was made with a HP photosmart R717, one day later.
They did not have any candles burning before the photo was taken.
This confirms that this can not just be something on the lens.

A dust particle still seems the best explanation. Did anyone try to make these "orbs" deliberately?

bol2.jpg

bol2all.jpg

Most reactions

Back