Weird black spot over negatives creating a haze

Braders487

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Been getting a weird haze destroying my images took to the repair place in london which supposedly knew how to fix saying was light leak but appears not to be and now they say the camera is perfectly fine. EVen the people at the printing place had no clue cant find anything similar online. Is it the camera? its happened on every roll ive shot on this camera since i got it last year from london camera exchange. leaks onto multiple frames
IMG_0672.JPG

My first thought was light leak, as well - either in the camera or in the processing. Is there another lab you can use?

My first thought was light leak, as well - either in the camera or in the processing. Is there another lab you can use?

I've used about 5-6 labs and every roll since I bought the camera has been like this despite changing light seals twice.

It's hard it's hard for me to see the image on my mobile, but it looks like someone opened up the camera back when the film was about two-thirds of the way through.

It's hard it's hard for me to see the image on my mobile, but it looks like someone opened up the camera back when the film was about two-thirds of the way through.

camera back never been opened this has happened on all of my 20 plus rolls ive shot and random interms of placement and frequency

I would sacrifice a roll and let time elapse before advancing film and taking new exposure. In fact I would leave lenscap on and run shutter a couple of extra times on each exposure.

If black area is confined to individual frames, it may be an ntermittent sticky shutter that sticks then clears.

I would sacrifice a roll and let time elapse before advancing film and taking new exposure. In fact I would leave lenscap on and run shutter a couple of extra times on each exposure.

If black area is confined to individual frames, it may be an ntermittent sticky shutter that sticks then clears.

looking at the negative it appears that it is leaking off of the frame and the guys at the development place said that was strange that the image hidden in this haze is pinpoint sharp. sometimesthe image is completely not visible though

There is a light leak in the back of the camera. It is not happening during film processing. It is not related to activation of the shutter. Repair/replace light seals in camera back.

light_leak.jpg

Joe

Oops! Got the take-up spool film cassette directions reversed. Conclusion remains unchanged.

Last edited:
There is a light leak in the back of the camera. It is not happening during film processing. It is not related to activation of the shutter. Repair/replace light seals in camera back.

View attachment 141837

Joe

thats what i thought but they say the seels are fine and literally just had them fixed for second time :(

It's not a light leak in the back of the camera..... that would fog the relief of the film. It's an issue with the shutter. You may need new seals around the mirror chamber.

When you say 'the shutter is working perfectly', does that mean it's been tested for light leaks? Or are you assuming that because it goes 'click' when you push the button it's functioning as designed? Have the shutter blades / curtains been checked?

My guess is there's a leak coming in around the shutter from the mirror box.

I thought the light leak was coming from the shutter curtains not sealing 100% correctly...

I was thinking it looks like the shutter is malfunctioning or the mirror isn't raising properly because it seems like it's fine for a number of frames then gets an improperly exposed image. Seems like it's happening at intermittent intervals so I wonder if it will just continue to get worse. Seems like you'd need to get the camera looked at and repaired, or make it into 'shelf art' and buy a replacement camera body that could be used with the lenses you already have.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back