Weird light circle..

Where's KmH and his "hammer to the front element" video?

but flaring will be present with or without the filter if you point it right at the bloody sun.
The picture posted is mostly of the ground. I would hardly call that shooting into the Sun... The Sun may have been in that general direction, but it doesn't appear to be anywhere near the edges of the frame.

I think a hood probably would have eliminated the flare here.

I use a UV filter because it help keeps UV rays from hitting my film and contaminating the color, protection is a bonus.

Yes I worded it incorrectly and it got picked at. Flaring will be present wherever flaring is possible. With or without extra glass between the lens' front element and the filter's threads... Filters may make flaring more prominent, but you shouldn't be shooting without a hood or taking other measures to ensure flaring doesn't happen in the first place.

The proper argument would be that extra glass in front of your lens will degrade IQ, but I haven't seen that perfectly valid point pop up yet, especially when we're giving this information to a beginner.

Yes I worded it incorrectly and it got picked at.
You weren't the only one talking about shooting into the Sun. You just had the most 'quote worthy' post. :lol:

Just sayin' - this is not anywhere near what I would describe as shooting into the Sun... And, yeah - if it is lens flare from the Sun, I think it might have been there even without the filter (the filter isn't helping though). I do not think it would have been there if a lens hood was installed though.

From my experience, with the proper hood, to get flare you pretty much have to be able to see the Sun in the frame...

I have not one clue what that could be on the film. My first thought was a spirit..maybe ??? :lol:

Sometimes things happen and I don't see the sun being a big issue since you were pointed to the ground, but did you have your lens hood on? thats what those are for. Maybe there was a reflection of some sort that happend at the right time..

Is this happening on all your shots? If not it was probably just one of those things that happen here and there.

I wish I could have been of more use. I still think it was a spirit......

It'll help prevent your lens glass from cracking if you drop it

Really? How so?

What about direct impact breaking the UV filter and THAT glass scratching the front element?

The UV filters break more easily than the glass in the lens, as they break and shatter it absorbs the energy that might otherwise break or crack your lens glass. So if the lens is dropped on it's side the chances of breaking the lens glass or important stuff in the lens are reduced dramatically. And I would much rather have a small scratch on a nice lens from the broken UV filter glass than a large scratch or break from something directly impacting it.

Most reactions

Back