Weird light circle..

jaebird82

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Finally got the chance to try out my T3i. I'm still learning all the settings and am pretty much using the "p" mode. I noticed a few of my pictures have this weird light circle. Pic below. I think I had my kit lens on 18-55 with a UV lens. I believe the flash was on. Thanks.

Attachments

• $IMG_0444.jpg
    $IMG_0444.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 198
Are you shooting into the sun? (Flare)

Is the spot the same size and in the same place on each frame? (Dust)

Finally got the chance to try out my T3i. I'm still learning all the settings and am pretty much using the "p" mode. I noticed a few of my picture have this weird light circle. Pic below. I think I had my kit lens on 18-55 with a UV lens. I believe the flash was on. Thanks.

Your post fails to convey what you are trying to accomplish (please pose a question). Do you want us to figure out what the weird circle is or do you just want us to look at your photo? Also, you dont know which lens you had on or if a flash fired - did you even take the pic? I'm guessing that weird circle is from light flare from your UV filter you think you had on the lens.

Sorry about that, was in a hurry. Question: what is that weird light circle?

Yes, I took the pic. I was constantly switching lenses. I looked at the pictures propeties and I believe it was the 18-55mm kit lens. The, the flash was forced on I believe for that picture. Lastly, I'll throw that UV filter in the closest closet as I purchased a few lens hoods. I was just wondering if something was wrong with the lens. When you're a noob and don't know what causes what, your first inclination is that something is wrong with the gear instead of yourself or the setting.

Finally got the chance to try out my T3i. I'm still learning all the settings and am pretty much using the "p" mode. I noticed a few of my picture have this weird light circle. Pic below. I think I had my kit lens on 18-55 with a UV lens. I believe the flash was on. Thanks.

Your post fails to convey what you are trying to accomplish (please pose a question). Do you want us to figure out what the weird circle is or do you just want us to look at your photo? Also, you dont know which lens you had on or if a flash fired - did you even take the pic? I'm guessing that weird circle is from light flare from your UV filter you think you had on the lens.

I've had this happen as well. I thought the filter I had on was a multi-coated and it turns out it wasn't and gives off glare at certain angles when shooting. Needless to say I was a little disappointed at myself for not reading more carefully when buying.

Thanks. Helpful!

I've had this happen as well. I thought the filter I had on was a multi-coated and it turns out it wasn't and gives off glare at certain angles when shooting. Needless to say I was a little disappointed at myself for not reading more carefully when buying.

It looks like flare from the sun, you can see the bright spots on the ground from the sun behind the persons right leg, so some must have leaked through the background somewhere onto the front of the lens. Probably would have happened without the UV filter on it too.

IMO: Don't throw the UV filter away, just take it off and see if that's the problem. If it its, put it back on and make sure it's screwed on all the way. Still get the circle? Take it off again. Now you have two options. You can leave it off and be happy, or you can buy a more expensive better quality UV filter. The only real reason to have a UV filter on a digital SLR is to protect the lens and seeing as how a good quality UV filter will cost more than a decently used 18-55mm kit lens on craigslist... I'd just say leave it off. When you have more expensive lenses, get a good quality UV filter and leave it on. It'll help prevent your lens glass from cracking if you drop it, and if it hasn't happened yet... it will.

It'll help prevent your lens glass from cracking if you drop it

Really? How so?

What about direct impact breaking the UV filter and THAT glass scratching the front element?

I actually use a UV filter on my walk around lens, simply to avoid general scratching on the front element, but i don't see anything really functionally protecting glass from being broken when dropped. (Aside from just being really careful) lol

I agree with banderson, no use in using a UV filter to prevent a frontal smash to the front element, but it helps to keep the front element clean of scratches, dirt, and other small particles. Do these small things even matter? Of course not, you can smash your front element to a million pieces and it still won't show in most cases! But I like to keep my lenses clean anyways.

I also agree with above poster saying it would have happened without the filter too. A filter is glass, and glass flares. It may make flaring worse, but flaring will be present with or without the filter if you point it right at the bloody sun.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back