Weird shot distortion

d0h

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been shooting with the kit lens on my XS, and i've been noticing huge edge distortion. For example, look at the signs, trees, and lights in the parking lot where this picture was taken.

fSss0GT94FXSD.jpg
fSss0GT94FXSD.jpg

Am i doing something wrong? or is this typical of a kit lens?

It is typical for wide angle lens. And the effect varies from lens to lens.

Typical of any lens at the wide end. The wider the angle, the more extreme the distortion. Granted, some lenses do have a tendency to create more distortion than others. Some camera bodies even have distortion correction built into their post editing, but you could also do it in photoshop or any other editing program. If you want to avoid it, shoot above 50mm or so.

some newer cams have barrel correction in camera, photoshop can easily fix it!
lens correction filter

Pointing the camera up or down accentuates barrel distortion.

You angled the camera up to make that image.

So basically what you're saying is that I should save for some high quality wide angle glass and that it won't distort as much?

And thanks for so many responses, I think i've found a new favorite forum :)

Check with lens reviews site the offer technical lens reviews.

For example, from the link below, you should find your lens review. Pay attention on the 1st section regarding Distortion. It shows you the degree of distortion on your lens in different focal length. Of course, at 18mm, you will see more distortion. Try reading some other lens review from the same site, you may find different lens behave differently.

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - Test Report / Review

So basically what you're saying is that I should save for some high quality wide angle glass and that it won't distort as much?

And thanks for so many responses, I think i've found a new favorite forum :)

No. What KmH is saying is that you have convergent verticals because you pointed the camera upwards. That will happen with any wide angle lens, cheap or expensive. What you really notice in your shot are convergent verticals, not barrel distortion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back