Well I did it, new D850 owner

Rickbb

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After almost a year of thinking, researching and just plain ole procrastinating, B&H sent me an email alert that they had some new D850's in stock. So I ordered one up, got it Friday and been playing around trying to figure out what I like and how to adapt what I shoot to it.

I think I'm going to like it, but now have to start the process all over with what lens to get since all mine are old all manual film or DX lens.

:chuncky:

Congratulations! The D850 is arguably the best dslr ever made. On glass, start looking for what you shoot the most, then build from there. My Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 rarely comes off my D850, and when it does it's either for a Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 or more likely an 85mm f/1.8 portrait lens or a Sigma105mm f/2.8 macro. Some of the features you are going to want to become familiar with are focus stacking and focus peaking. If you are looking for a grip, look at Meike grips with a built in wireless remote trigger. Enjoy.

The lenses you choose should reflect what you like to shoot.

But..with that kind of resolution, lens quality is key especially if you plan to make big prints. My best lens is my Nikon 70-200 f/2.8.

… with that kind of resolution, lens quality is key especially if you plan to make big prints.
My best lens is my Nikon 70-200 f/2.8.
:encouragement:

After testing — extensively in some cases — I came to conclusions
that made me use Nikon lenses only.

Thanks.

I have used other glass and prefer the Nikon glass as well. Now if I could just afford what I'd want.

I do have some old pre-AI that I'll be sending off to John White to adapt. Don't mind manual focus as most of what I shoot is on a tripod and have plenty of time to work it.

I often use a Nikon 50 1.8 pancake from 1981 for street. I have a 135 dc and 180 2.8 from 1995 and still made unchanged today 25 years later for a reason. I also use voigtlander 58, zeiss 35 distagon, 85 planar, and 100 makro planar all from early 2000's. They are all stunning on the d850 and also work on my nikon film cameras. I have a large format printer and make large prints. Don't buy into the bs you have to use "new" lenses. That bs comes from the manufacturers who also tell you a new lens or body will transform your photography. The only transformation it will make is shrinking your bank account. That older glass will give you much better microcontrast, hence much better b&w and will give you 3d separation unlike the $1400 tubes full of 14 to 22 pieces of glass. Hold your glasses between the sun and the ground. Notice the lenses cast a shadow because they are absorbing the light. What do you think 14-22 do to low energy shadow light? Also, know in the lower L of your nikon view finder are 2 arrows pointing at each other and when you get focus the meatball between them lights up.

Last edited:
I use the zeiss 100 makro planar. The images look 3D. So sharp they make your eyes bleed. Stunning bokeh. B&W with the incredible micro contrast will blow you away. Works on both my film and digital bodies.

After a little research it seems I already have an excellent 105 macro. It's an old Kiron from a film camera someone gave me. I will include this one for John to adapt as well.

This will give me 4 FX lenses, only one with AF/AI, but that's ok, I shot manual for so long AF seems kind of weird to me even after 10 years of using one.

I'm starting to use the zeiss 100 makro planar to scan negatives. Something I had never considered.

Congrats on the 850! You'll love it once you get used to it! My every day lens has been my Nikkor AF-S 24-120mm 1:4G ED. So far it has been great for everything I've done to date.

Congrats on the 850! You'll love it once you get used to it! My every day lens has been my Nikkor AF-S 24-120mm 1:4G ED. So far it has been great for everything I've done to date.
I'm shooting D750 & D850. I finally put my Nikkor 24-120mm on my D850. In the past I started having trouble with shadow areas (24-120) and sent it for repair in Miami. Now it seems to shoot better than when the lens was new. Now I'm waiting for nice day to do some shooting on my D850.

Most reactions

Back