KmH

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
kharrodphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot some time lapse this morning and the entire 200 frame series came out seriously over exposed.

It took me about 5 minutes to discover what the problem was.
The aperture mechanism in my Nikon AF 24-85 mm f/2.8-4D is binding and can't reliably stop down from wide open (to AF) to the smaller than wide open aperture I wanted to use.

For those that don't know:
The lens aperture is moved by a motor in the camera body (all Nikon DSLR bodies).

When a lens is not mounted on a Nikon DSLR the lens aperture is closed to as small as it can get by a spring.
When the lens is mounted on the body, the in-the-camera to lens aperture linkage opens the aperture as wide as it can go. That's so what we see in the viewfinder through the lens is a bright as possible and so the AF system doesn't have to wait to do it's thing when the shutter is 1/2 pressed.

I figure the repair will cost me about $250, which would be about $100 less than less than replacing the (bought it used) lens.

bummer

didn't you send that in a while back to get it cleaned and focus sharper too ?

Yep.
I had it serviced (just clean, adjust, calibrate) by Nikon a while back.
Like 2 years ago.

Last edited:
I got around to scheduling a repair for the lens.
Nikon's estimate, based on my checking Exposure Problem and description of the binding aperture, is $162 plus $16 to ship it back to me.
I'll be shipping the lens UPS Friday morning, which is when I will next be going to the town where the closest UPS Store is.
I'm west of the Mississippi, so it's going to Nikon Service on Wilshire Blvd in LA.

Last edited:
The lens is on the way back. It arrived at the Lenexa, KS UPS facility at 3 AM this morning.
Per the estimate the cost - B2 service rank - was $161.70 and $15.50 for return shipping (UPS Ground).

UPS delivered the lens a few minutes ago.

According to the Repair Invoice here is what they did:
General check and clean.
• Replaced the aperture lever.
• Replaced the lens mount.
• Replaced a retaining ring.
Checked:
Infinity Focus
Aperture operation
Exposure
Communication
Auto focus operation

I figure the retaining ring failed letting whatever it was intended to retain get loose which damaged (bent?) the aperture lever and the lens mount.
I suspect the lens mount damage was on the back side of the mount that can't be seen unless the lens mount is removed from the lens.

how does it shoot though ?

Like it did before it got fu'd.

Do they guarantee repairs? Maybe a call to NY will let you send it to the east coast for a look see (of course on their dime). Not betting on it. Would at least demand refund.

No! I mean they fixed it.
It was a good as it was when I got it back 2 years ago after they cleaned it and calibrated the focus.
That is my most used lens.

I haven't mounted my AF 80-200 mm f/2.8D for such a long time I'm probably going to offer it for sale in a couple of days.

No! I mean they fixed it.
It was a good as it was when I got it back 2 years ago after they cleaned it and calibrated the focus.
That is my most used lens.

I haven't mounted my AF 80-200 mm f/2.8D for such a long time I'm probably going to offer it for sale in a couple of days.

Ah that's good. I can't bring myself to sell the 80-200 f/2.8d. Wife uses it now mostly. But it's a great spare lens if they fancy electric lenses ever fail.

My 80-200 and 24-85/2.8-4.0 are my 2 most widely used lenses.
Then my 150-600 and 18-35
I've sold most my other misc lenses that I rarely used.

I can't bring myself to sell the 80-200 f/2.8d. Wife uses it now mostly.
That's pretty much where I've been, couldn't bring myself to sell it.
I haven't had a wife since '84. :icon_mrgreen:

My oldest daughter followed in the old man's foot steps and is also a professional photographer.
She only got 1 thing wrong. She got enamored with Canon gear.:BangHead:

Most reactions

Back