Well, TinyTogger just goes from Strength to Strength!

Bend The Light

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, the club my daughter and I go to is affiliated to the YPU (Yorkshire Photographic Union) which represents the entire Yorkshire and Humber region in the UK.

Every year the YPU have an annual exhibition and assembly, where images are selected from a couple of thousand entries to be displayed at the exhibition. Around 200 prints, and 200 Projected images, from about 3 - 4000 entries all told.

The good news, one of my images was selected and also won a certificate of merit. :)

The stupendous and fabulous news?
My daughter, TinyTogger (Ruby, aged 7) got an image through, and not only won a certificate, but also best Projected image (Young photographers section (up to age 14, I think).

Here is Ruby with the great Andy Rouse, Wildlife photographer, and also the image that she won the award for.

Ruby with Andy Rouse at the YPU 2012 by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Whooooose in the Shadows by Tiny Togger, on Flickr

I love Tiny Togger's work. Tiny Togger updates make me smile, and I love seeing how proud you are of her!

I love Tiny Togger's work. Tiny Togger updates make me smile, and I love seeing how proud you are of her!

Thank you. Some of her work is refreshingly 7-year-old, but often with the skill of someone older. :)
and yes, I couldn't be more proud of her...:)

Thank you. :)

Does she plan her own lighting as well?

She's getting there...most of her shots so far have been out of the studio, so it hasn't really come up.
Recently we have done some work in the studio and what i tend to do is show her what each bit does, the lights, the power of the lights, the snoot, or the brolly, or the grid, etc., and then ask her what she wants to do. It's not perfect, but she's learning.

When asked if this is all her own work, I have no qualms in saying "yes". It is more her work than some of the camera club group event shots that show up regularly, where the photographer hasn't done any setting up at all. :)

So there we go...I teach Ruby things, then she tries them. In editing, like on this one, I showed her a way to vignette, a way to select an areas with a soft edge and paint in some black, and how to sharpen. I showed her the Silver Efex pro for the mono. Then I undid all I had showed her, and she did it herself.

Cheers

From strength to strength indeed! Sounds like she's going strong and heck I hope she keeps at it and gets a chance to develop her talent!

A-friggin'-mazin'!!! D'ya think she'll hire me as a second shooter in a few years?

From strength to strength indeed! Sounds like she's going strong and heck I hope she keeps at it and gets a chance to develop her talent!

Thank you guys.

I hope she keeps it up, too. Trouble is with kids is they don't always want to follow the path that we want them too, even when they are really good at something. Ruby does enjoy her photography, but it's not a complete "bug" that she has like it is for me, for example. Hopefully this award, and her recent wins at Camera Club will increase her excitement in photography and she'll want to pick up the camera more and more. If she does, she could become great! :)

Cheers

Ruby will find her way. She has talent, and a good teacher. As an end in itself, interest in photography may not last, but as a vehicle to explore, to reveal "greater truths", to connect, photography may become one of her chosen ways of expression. As her interests evolve, she will most probably go through phases of intense interest in certain areas/subject, which will then morph into other interests, or get replaced by something new. By keeping the photography as a tool, you may succeed in nurturing this art form as one of the things she holds onto while growing up. If she sees is as a place of refuge (in the sense of it being a place she can call her own), as a reliable ally, then there is a good chance she will continue doing it for a long time to come.

Ruby will find her way. She has talent, and a good teacher. As an end in itself, interest in photography may not last, but as a vehicle to explore, to reveal "greater truths", to connect, photography may become one of her chosen ways of expression. As her interests evolve, she will most probably go through phases of intense interest in certain areas/subject, which will then morph into other interests, or get replaced by something new. By keeping the photography as a tool, you may succeed in nurturing this art form as one of the things she holds onto while growing up. If she sees is as a place of refuge (in the sense of it being a place she can call her own), as a reliable ally, then there is a good chance she will continue doing it for a long time to come.

Yes indeed. :)

Thanks. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back