Well, you see, Me....... well I'm a fotograffer.

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know I haven't been around too much lately, but I hope you let me back for a while. I couldn't help but share an amusing anecdote with you folks.

I'm down in the Gulf of Mexico on vacation, and the fam decided to take a "dolphin watching"tour. Really, the whole thing was pretty cool. Two boats side by side making a specific type of wake that the dolphins like to frolic in. Pretty neat.

I was doing my best to blend in, wearing my Hawiian shirt covered with different kinds of fish, a floppy hat, some sandals and kewl shades, so I could remain kind of incognito. This helped quite a bit with the people watching.

One of these people was not so efficient at being unnoticed. There was a woman there, who would walk up to everyone carrying a camera (including me) and start a conversation. This conversation for most victims.... er.... I mean people started a bit like this.

Large obnoxious woman in loud pink shirt - "Are you a photographer or a scrapbooker? By the looks of the camea you have, I'd bet you are a scrapbooker. Me? Well, I'm a photographer. I have been ever since I bought this baby. [pats her Canon T1i with an absurdly long kit lens hanging off of it] If you want I can give you some pointers."

Which she did........Unsolicited.........To virtually everyone. It was actually quite humorous. I followed here around the boat so I could hear the different discussions. The advice was priceless.

She eventually made her pitch to me. She opened her conversation with, "So with a camera like that, I assume you're a photogpher like me." Now I wanted to say a lot of things, but by the looks of this woman she could beat the **** out of me. And probably devour me in one sitting, and I'm a big guy (big fat, not big strong). What actually DID come out of my mouth before I could stop myself was this. "What, this? [subtley shakes Gripped D7000] Nah..... I bought this so I could look important, and people would think I'm cool. But really I'm just an amateur." She turned around and muttered "scrapbooker" under her breath as she walked away. :lmao:

This lady was a trip. She was moving little kids out of the way so she could get a picture of dolphins. "Excuse me, I'm a photographer" she'd say as she eclipsed some poor little kid, obscuring their view of the dolphins. Too bad she didn't try that with my kids. I wuold have issued her a nice warm vat of **** off. At the end of it all, she had the audacity to offer her photos for "sale" to the folks coming off the boat. Unfortunately, the folks that ran the business shooed her away before she could make her sales pitch to me. I would have had some fun with that.

So anyhoo, This is my very first contact with a real live obnoxious fauxtograffer in the wild and it was quite the experience.

Last edited:
That was fun!

It reminds me of a work colleague looking at a photo I made as a panorama in Seattle. He said: "Great picture! You must have a really good camera!"
I wrote about this here:
http://www.adichiru.com/blog/2011/11/Great-picture-You-must-have-a-really-good-camera

I may not be a good photographer at all but most of the people I know are indeed impressed more by the fact that I spent "so much" money on equipment than by the images I make. I don't think there are bad photos but as soon as they see the camera (a D7000) and a few lenses the expectations seems to rise so high that are just not reachable anymore - an impressive image 1 minute ago it's just normal/expected as soon as they see "all this professional equipment".

Glad you stopped by to share that funny story! Stick around!

How long would it have taken someone to notice that she'd 'slipped' over the railing, lol? Thankfully, I haven't met someone like that yet...

Ha ha good story!

What's a scrapbooker? Is that a real term for amateurs, or did she make that up?

Scrapbooking is so last Thursday.

Black Sheep, did you really miss that craze?
There were freakin' scrapbooking stores!

She eventually made her pitch to me. She opened her conversation with, "So with a camera like that, I assume you're a photogpher like me." ...snip... What actually DID come out of my mouth before I could stop myself was this. "What, this? [subtley shakes Gripped D7000] Nah..... I bought this so I could look important, and people would think I'm cool. But really I'm just an amateur."

Great story.

My response probably would have been "What this? I just take it out when I don't want to risk my real cameras. What with the salt air and ocean spray from the boats. Of coarse you know what I mean." (gestures to her camera)

She eventually made her pitch to me. She opened her conversation with, "So with a camera like that, I assume you're a photogpher like me." ...snip... What actually DID come out of my mouth before I could stop myself was this. "What, this? [subtley shakes Gripped D7000] Nah..... I bought this so I could look important, and people would think I'm cool. But really I'm just an amateur."

Great story.

My response probably would have been "What this? I just take it out when I don't want to risk my real cameras. What with the salt air and ocean spray from the boats. Of coarse you know what I mean." (gestures to her camera)

Brilliant!

Maybe just make it look like an accident. ^^^ :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Scrapbooking is so last Thursday.

Black Sheep, did you really miss that craze?
There were freakin' scrapbooking stores!

Do you mean scrapbooks, like where someone glues concert ticket stubs, pressed flowers, photos, general keepsakes, etc etc in those big books? Then yep, I didn't miss that particular craze, I was just wondering if "scrapbooking" was some new term for something else.

So, was this woman splitting people-with-cameras into Photographers (capital P intended) vs "scrapbookers"? Hahaha that doesn't even make sense!

How long would it have taken someone to notice that she'd 'slipped' over the railing, lol? Thankfully, I haven't met someone like that yet...

Probably not long since the behemoth splash would eclipse the sun, soak the spectators, and scare off all dolphins and aquatic life for miles.

Great story btw.

This is good stuff. You should definitely come around more often. Scrapbooker! lol. I love how she either classify people as photographers or scrapbookers. I bet she rocks that A-uto mode!

Hey welcome back!! Great story!! I so want to see a picture of this........"wearing my Hawiian shirt covered with different kinds of fish, a floppy hat, some sandals and kewl shades."!!!! lol

I so want to see a picture of this........"wearing my Hawiian shirt covered with different kinds of fish, a floppy hat, some sandals and kewl shades."!!!! lol

Your wish = My command. :sexywink:

$Fatguy in a floppy hat.jpg

NOt sure if this is the same day or not, I tend to favor these shirts near the ocean.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back