What's new

Wet fisherman.

Tight Knot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Nov 30, 2010
Messages
1,398
Reaction score
159
Location
Boca Raton, FL
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,
Looking for some C&C on these. Let me also know what you think of the triptych.

Anticipation

$Preparation - midsize.webp


Preparation

$Anticipation - midsize.webp


Culmination

$Culmination - midsize.webp


Triptych

$Fisherman -Triptych - midsize.webp
 
Bump for the day crowd
 
Good morning! Well, it's morning here in west USA.

I'm squinting to see the details. Perhaps a tighter crop would help? Does the water hit the fisherman? Since he doesn't appear to react (in fact, he seems oblivious to the wave), it's hard to tell, thus there is little drama and tension in this image/series.
 
Good morning! Well, it's morning here in west USA.

I'm squinting to see the details. Perhaps a tighter crop would help? Does the water hit the fisherman? Since he doesn't appear to react (in fact, he seems oblivious to the wave), it's hard to tell, thus there is little drama and tension in this image/series.
Good morning Jaemie,
Thanks for your reply,
Actually, it's a trick of perspective. The wave doesn't hit the fisherman at all, although it sure looked like it did when I saw this happen. To my eyes, he is perched down abit, hunching his shoulders as the wave comes over. Although that could just be my wanting to see that in the photo.
I tried to crop tighter, but then felt I was missing the "drama" of the ocean and wave etc. If you can do a good crop, by all means, go ahead and let me see. I love learning.
 
To me these are just pictures with not much drama or interest.
The coloring, lighting and his behavior say 'happy day, no drama here' and we are too far to get any direct feedback from his face.

Sorry.
 
To me these are just pictures with not much drama or interest.
The coloring, lighting and his behavior say 'happy day, no drama here' and we are too far to get any direct feedback from his face.

Sorry.

Thanks for the C&C Lew. Other than what you have mentioned, how would you have framed and/or cropped it/them?
 
The guy in the middle photo and missing in the other two, blows the flow IMO.
 
Thanks for the C&C Lew. Other than what you have mentioned, how would you have framed and/or cropped it/them?

TBH, fisherman, fishing rod, ocean has been shot so many zillions of times, I would find it hard to say anything new or interesting in a big sea, small man context.
I would try to get up really close to the man and caught some emotion in his face, set against a breaking wave.

And I ahve no idea if that would work either.

Lew
 
In addition to the crop, I poked at the highlights and adjusted the curves a bit to bring more sense of action to the wave. Unfortunately, we still can't see enough of the fisherman's face to get much of an emotional connection, although I think his physical reaction and posture in this image convey more shock than in the other photos.

$Preparation - midsize.webp
 
Bump! Hey..i like all good family pics. Your sons? The triptych would be better if both sons were in the first shot...and I like your original crop best.
 
The guy in the middle photo and missing in the other two, blows the flow IMO.
Thanks Kundalini.
I thought it was more like the 1 guy getting wise, and running off before the wave came. But I see what you are saying.
 
i really like the images...and enjoyed how the fisherman is engulfed by the snow white foamy waves without wetting him by a drop !!!
Yes, it is funny that he bends his shoulders as if fearing the hit by waves :D
 
Thanks for the C&C Lew. Other than what you have mentioned, how would you have framed and/or cropped it/them?

TBH, fisherman, fishing rod, ocean has been shot so many zillions of times, I would find it hard to say anything new or interesting in a big sea, small man context.
I would try to get up really close to the man and caught some emotion in his face, set against a breaking wave.

And I ahve no idea if that would work either.

Lew

Makes sense, I guess that is why I thought I could do it as a triptych, to give a kind of story, but if the individuals aren't good, I guess the end result won't be good either.
 
In addition to the crop, I poked at the highlights and adjusted the curves a bit to bring more sense of action to the wave. Unfortunately, we still can't see enough of the fisherman's face to get much of an emotional connection, although I think his physical reaction and posture in this image convey more shock than in the other photos.

View attachment 13479

Much better,
I really like it. Thanks. I also see what you mean about this being a better reaction and posture than "Culmination"
 
Bump! Hey..i like all good family pics. Your sons? The triptych would be better if both sons were in the first shot...and I like your original crop best.
Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the C&C. Nope, not my sons, some friends I went fishing with. I was the only one that caught anything. They didn't catch fish, but I caught some nice photos.
Although I did get caught by a big wave that almost pulled me in. It covered me all the way to my waste, up to my camera backpack on a rocky outcropping. Boy did I run.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom