Whaleback Moonrise

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A couple of week's ago I met up with some photographer friends to photograph a moonrise just after sunset. This is Whaleback Lighthouse shot from Portsmouth NH. We lucked out with a beautiful clear night. It was a lot of fun!

Not sure if I'm done editing these - I'll probably crop some of that boring plain sky away. Comments and suggestions welcome.

Whaleback Moonrise by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Very, very nice set.

As a total coincidence I am about to post a picture of the original Portsmouth! I couldn't believe it when I saw this just posted!!

Very, very nice set.

As a total coincidence I am about to post a picture of the original Portsmouth! I couldn't believe it when I saw this just posted!!
Thank you! Do you still live in the area?

They are really good shots....
Thank you Jeff…..

Last edited:
Love these. The third image my favourite. It almost looks like the spiky bit at the top of the lighthouse is going to "pop" the moon.

Wow, this looks so awesome! You guys had the luck of the draw with the clear night and the perfect sunset colors - looks like an amazing shoot. Definitely gonna crop that sky, the lighthouse is the real show stopper here!

Fantastic!

Great set. I love seeing the moon come up like that.

Love these. The third image my favourite. It almost looks like the spiky bit at the top of the lighthouse is going to "pop" the moon.
Can’t unsee that now lol!

Wow, this looks so awesome! You guys had the luck of the draw with the clear night and the perfect sunset colors - looks like an amazing shoot. Definitely gonna crop that sky, the lighthouse is the real show stopper here!
Thanks!

Fantastic!
Thank you!

Great set. I love seeing the moon come up like that.
Thanks. Yeah it’s nice to get a moonrise time that’s close to sunset so you can get a decent shot that’s not too contrasty.

Gorgeous! This right here is what photographers live for, jus once in a lifetime to catch something like this. Wonderful!
Thanks Jeff. I don’t shoot moonrise very often so totally thrilled with the results. Next time going to try to line up the moon a bit lower behind the lantern.

Lovely set. That first one looks like a nuclear explosion.
Thanks John. That’s an interesting observation. I may have to play around with liquify and smudge brushes in Affinity to see if I can create a mushroom cloud!

Awesome! Did you use any planning tools to pick your location ahead of time, or did you wing it and move as you needed?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back