What a choice: 5D MII, 7D or D7000

rschulze71

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed, but there are so many answers out there and still more questions open.

I currently own an older 50d and shoot mainly with my 70 - 200 2.8L IS lens. This is great for many situations, but my daughter is doing competitive gymnastics and this gear doesn't seem to be the best fit for this low light action sport. The main reason is the performance of the camera at high ISO. I shot a competition last weekend and although the bar and beam pictures are OK as I could shoot with 1600 ISO, the floor and vault are not as sharp as I want them to be. To have some kind of reasonable shutter speed, I had to crank the camera up to H1 (PS says the ISO on most shots was 4000). And still the shutter speed couldn't stop all of the action. I also think that the auto focus of the 50d isn't all that good (slow and confused), so I shot most shots on MF which is not the easiest thing to do in the 50D view finder.

That is why I am now looking at getting a more modern camera that has faster AF and a lot better ISO performance. I know I can get the 135 f2 lens to increase the shutter speed, but am worried that with the slow AF, the even smaller depth of field will lead to many out of focus shots.

With prices like they are today, I am looking at getting an 7D or 5D MII. Although I would love going full frame, I think the 5D will probably not suit the best as it has a slow fps and an even slower auto focus. But I still would love to get that camera for the low light quality. The next 2 choices are the 7D and the D7000. When reading reviews etc. I tend to think that the D7000 is the better camera for my circumstances for less money. I can swap out most of my Canon equipment for equivalent Nikon gear over Ebay without losing a whole lot of money (bought most lenses etc. on Ebay to start with). And to be honest, I have been using Canons from the T70 on and maybe it is time for something different... I also like the D600 better than the D6 as possible future upgrade path.

I'd like to see if there are people out there that have opinions on what camera is the best and if there are people that did the Canon / Nikon switch and their experiences.

Thanks!

Well, the 3 cameras you list are vastly different. However if you are worried about noise, go for the 5d3. It'll out perform the rest twice over at high ISO's.
If you are having noise problems you can't remove on a 50D at 12800 something's wrong. The focus in the 50D is no slouch either. Could it be the lens you are using?

this is shot with a 50D, ISO 2000; f/3.2
5548451916_fddf1fa05d_z.jpg

50D, ISO 12800; f/3.2 shutter of 1/500
5398902346_cf11334939_z.jpg

Same image zoomed in to 100%
5398298383_07e31ae812_z.jpg

60D, ISO 12800; 1/400 f/2.8

Link to that same image in larger size http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5137/5398938298_2b198a7e41_b.jpg
5398938298_2b198a7e41_z.jpg

Man, if you're willing to buy a camera for low-light, indoor sports of your precious daughter's gymnastics, think about a used Nikon D3s. Around $1900 these days. POWERFUL AF module. Super-good low-light high ISO performance. Solid build. BIG, sharp, CLEAR viewfinder image---unlike the squinty crop-body viewfinders.

Those are great shots! I don't think it's the lens as it shoots fine when the light is plenty. I think the AF of the D50 might just not work so good in low light conditions. I bought the camera off Ebay and it sometimes does act weird. I rather buy a new one than spend money to get it checked out. And the D3s is still out of my reach I am afraid...

I attached some pics. Bars I am happy with, but the other two shots are way to grainy to my liking. I have to say, most of the pictures are being watched on our 55" TV, so it shows up quickly.

Floor
iso 6400
1/400
EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
70.0 mm

vault
iso 6400
1/200 sec
105.0 mm
EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

Bars
iso 1600
1/250 sec
70.0 mm
EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

Attachments

• $IMG_3459_edited-2_small.jpg
    $IMG_3459_edited-2_small.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 147
  • $IMG_3364_edited-3.jpg
    $IMG_3364_edited-3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 162
  • $IMG_3423_edited-3.jpg
    $IMG_3423_edited-3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 145
The middle shot appears to be focusing in front of the subject. If you follow the bar she's holding on to. So that would explain the blur. It's decently sharp where it is in focus. Either the 50d is missing focus or the lens needs to be calibrated. Or both.

Try shooting some static shots. See how fast it autofocuses in the low light. Maybe you're having a hard time tracking the subject. Maybe a problem with camera or lens or both. Or maybe it's something else...

Just my 2 cents.

I agree that they are not greatly focused. I am still working on that part as I cannot buy a new focus-er :)

My biggest problem is that the background on many pictures looks like it is snowing...

have these been cropped? if so how much? sharpened? I ask, because the file name says 'edited'

I didn't crop them. I shoot raw, so I just opened them in Photoshop Elements and converted them. It seems there is a file size limit so I had to convert it as "low" quality.

I didn't crop them. I shoot raw, so I just opened them in Photoshop Elements and converted them. It seems there is a file size limit so I had to convert it as "low" quality.

ah ok. I was asking because often times cropping and sharpening can drastically increase noise levels.

as to your original question, the 5DMII would have the best low light performance, but it isn't a very good camera for tracking fast action. The 7D is very good at tracking action, and is pretty good with low light (certainly better than the results you seem to be getting). The D7000 is very good in low light, better than the 7D, not as good as the 5DII. It is a bit slower than the 7D shooting wise (8fps v. 6 fps, which is a noticeable difference). The D7000 is a little bit better at focusing correctly in low light, the D7000's auto tracking focus seems to be more accurate than the 7Ds servo mode.

Thank you. The low light performance of the D7000 will probably attract me the most. And it is cheaper, so that leaves more for fast glass.

Those are great shots! I don't think it's the lens as it shoots fine when the light is plenty. I think the AF of the D50 might just not work so good in low light conditions. I bought the camera off Ebay and it sometimes does act weird. I rather buy a new one than spend money to get it checked out. And the D3s is still out of my reach I am afraid...

I attached some pics. Bars I am happy with, but the other two shots are way to grainy to my liking. I have to say, most of the pictures are being watched on our 55" TV, so it shows up quickly.

Floor
iso 6400
1/400
EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
70.0 mm

vault
iso 6400
1/200 sec
105.0 mm
EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

Bars
iso 1600
1/250 sec
70.0 mm
EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

SO... are you using a D50 or a 50D?You've said both and there is a huge difference.
What are you using for the focus points? One? Multiple? And are you using AI Servo AI focus or One shot?

zoom in and use your zoom!!! You are going to have more problems by staying backed out

Sorry for the confusion. I use the Eos 50D. I usually use 1 focus point for gymnastics, Servo AI. When writing down the photo data, I was surprised to as how little I zoomed in. I do need to zoom in more.

I think if you zoom in a more you'll have less problems. There should be no problem with the speed of focus on that combination of camera and lens. I think you are so far out that your focus point is able to lock on a few things in the immediate area of where you are focusing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back