What a difference a couple months makes...

The first pier is almost just black! All the details are lost in the sky and ocean! Lol!

???? Its a black and white photo.....

Yes, just because it's a black and white photo doesn't mean that the blacks have to be crushed. There can also be shades of grey to give the darker tones depth.

Tyler is right. My editing I can say has improved. I went too intense with the contrast. But I had just started editing photos. This is more of what I should have done. It's still not a great B&W conversion. Just a quick example of what I could've done. You can see the posts, clouds, detail in her hair and the sea weed.

PC030643-Copy.jpg

dodge and burn is your friend ;)

6q8f35.jpg

But I didn't use the photoshop "dodge and burn" I used my own "paint with light" action. Anyways again it is a black and white photo and you don't see too much midtones in a good bw conversion (like yours). Especially since you're shooting pretty much a scenic shot and not all details off in the distance are gonna be clear (especially converting it to bw). But whatever you want to lighten/darken just dodge and burn :)

dodge and burn is your friend ;)

6q8f35.jpg

But I didn't use the photoshop "dodge and burn" I used my own "paint with light" action. Anyways again it is a black and white photo and you don't see too much midtones in a good bw conversion (like yours). Especially since you're shooting pretty much a scenic shot and not all details off in the distance are gonna be clear (especially converting it to bw). But whatever you want to lighten/darken just dodge and burn :)

Thank you very much!

???? Its a black and white photo.....

Yes, just because it's a black and white photo doesn't mean that the blacks have to be crushed. There can also be shades of grey to give the darker tones depth.

Tyler is right. My editing I can say has improved. I went too intense with the contrast. But I had just started editing photos. This is more of what I should have done. It's still not a great B&W conversion. Just a quick example of what I could've done. You can see the posts, clouds, detail in her hair and the sea weed.

PC030643-Copy.jpg

I personally like your other bw a whole lot better. This has too much midtone for my taste. Im a big fan of super blacks and bright whites in a black and white photo. No not to the point to where the blacks and whites clip, but pretty much up to the point before they do.

Here is more to my liking! Thank you! I'm a sucker for a lot of contrasts too! I honestly like the contrasts and whites in the first one, it's really the black in the pier that I feel is really bad in the first one. Compare the detail of this pier against the first one.

PC030643-Copy-1.jpg

I was comparing two pictures I took of my kids. One was taken on in November and the other taken last weekend.. I see an improvement. I have a long way to go, but it's nice to see I'm making a bit of progress!! :mrgreen:

Here's the one taken in November..

6758471681_3478ef5360_b.jpg

January
6759878913_8b64212f31_b.jpg

What is the improvement that YOU see?

The second picture is focused better and I like the exposure. I also like the brighter lighting.

I honestly think your first one is a whole lot better. The composition (not shooting up) the colors, the lighting and the background are a lot better in your first one.

To save the 2nd one i just think you need to fix the reds and lighten up the blacks

What is the improvement that YOU see?

The second picture is focused better and I like the exposure. I also like the brighter lighting.

I honestly think your first one is a whole lot better. The composition (not shooting up) the colors, the lighting and the background are a lot better in your first one.

To save the 2nd one i just think you need to fix the reds and lighten up the blacks

I'm looking at this on a mac right now and it sure looks a lot redder than on my PC. I tried correcting the wb and obviously I did it wrong. I'm slowly backing out of this thread and moving forward!! Thanks for the feeback.

Your pictures are beautiful..I checked out your website!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back