What a good photo is defined?

Ahmult

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
These 2 pict have got high rate. But how can people distinguish it is good pict or not? Can expert give some guide?;)

24_crystalis.jpg

09_inthe2.jpg

thebeginning said:
make sure to follow the guidelines of the critique gallery when posting images:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23315

you'll get more critique that way too.
Exactly so. Thank you.

Ahmult.
Please read the guidelines to this Forum.
Only single images should be posted except where there is a comparisson issue.
Include some information about the picture if possible.
Indicate what aspect of your image you want people to comment on.

If you make any more posts in this Forum then please ensure that they comply with the guidelines otherwise they will be moved or deleted.

Thank you.

Ok, when I look at a pict, what should I consider whether it is shot well or not? Is it about the object itself? Can the object give u the clear topics? Is the object clear? Is the color of the photo suiting the topics.....
Like those 2 images, do you think they are great shot? If so, how can we define it?

Wrong post wont happen next time

A good pic is only in the eyes of the beholder. What is an awesome photo to you, may be not so good to me.

Ahmult said:
Like those 2 images, do you think they are great shot? If so, how can we define it?
Looks to me like what you are asking here is 'what makes a good picture?'
That's a tricky, and rather philosophical, question that could start a very long debate.
You could try asking it in the Discussion Forum where we like to chew over those sorts of questions.

Ahmult said:
Ok, when I look at a pict, what should I consider whether it is shot well or not? Is it about the object itself? Can the object give u the clear topics? Is the object clear? Is the color of the photo suiting the topics.....

Wrong post wont happen next time

From My perspective a photo must either be inspiring / reveal a sence of bellonging / give you a happy or sad feeling / the viewer must feel connected with the feeling or message been displayed , however it is interpreted. One thing it must not do , is leave you with questions around "what or where is the subject".This happens when a picture is cluttered."KEEP IT SIMPLE" If you can remove any item without it affecting the picture, then it shouldent be there !
Bill

Well, for one, the first picture has a distracting hot spot on the top left. It;s a good picture. I love the orange lightning, but the hot spot bothers me :(

There's no defintion of a good picture, like said above it's subjective and to each his own etc. Possibly a good picture is where every techinal thing is put ito consideration or used, or used properly I should say..this is my opinion/suggestion.

The second one...eehh..I'm tored of seeing simple landscapes. The coliurs are nice though! :)

I have a few 'sorting" definitions of my photos.. junk, keeper, good, and print it. I only print a shot if it is outstanding.. and this category is rarely filled.

i print about 4 out of every 1000 shots.

sorry for the simple analogy, but this works for me. What is good, or great is in the eyes of the beholder. As we move along and improve in our own photography skills, the levels are always changing!

photong said:
There's no defintion of a good picture
A 'good picture' can be defined as being one that does what the photographer intended or, to put it in a broader context, one that does the job.
In the second case it can be seen that the definition of 'good picture' is determined by the job it is to do.

Ahmult said:
consider whether it is shot well or not? Is it about the object itself? Can the object give u the clear topics? Is the object clear? Is the color of the photo suiting the topics.....

All of the above and then some.

I can't come to terms with the first pic. It has good composition, but its chaotic and the chaos agitates me. When I can't describe or recognize the subject in an image, I catagorize the image as abstract. I think this pic might be a high rate abstract.

The 2nd pic is a very fine creation. I like it. And it doesn't matter that it isn't realistic--its beautiful.

Most reactions

Back