What about tilt shift?

Joefbs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What is it about the tilt shift lenses that gives the photo a miniature look and feel. I have looked at these photos and tried to decipher it. Anyone have light to shed on this for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's because macros have a very limited depth of field, which the tilt-shift can simulate very well when used in that manner.

Tilting changes the plane of focus.
As mentioned above, you can use that to imitate shallow DoF on a subject that has a large DoF ... this makes it appear you are viewing a very small/close subject.

Tilt Shift - Scales

Awesome! Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using an actual tilt-shift lens (rather than a selective blur effect) you can reverse the effect, effectively widening teh DOF (not technically, but the same result) at a wider aperture.

Often people do not realize this advantage.

Last edited:
unpopular said:
Using an actual tilt-shift lens (rather than a selective blur effect) you can reverse the effect, effectively widening teh DOF (not technically, but the same result) at a smaller aperture.

Often people do not realize this advantage.

Bjorn Rorslett, the world-famous Nikon lens expert and well-respected nature photographer, author, and lens tinkerer mentions this in his review of the Nikkor 85mm tilt-shift lens. By using a bit of tilt, it allows for greater (effective) depth of field on close-up subjects.85 mm f 2.8 PC Micro-Nikkor

Interestingly, he mentions how that version of the 85mm tilt/shift lens performs extremely well as small lens apertures--much better than the majority of other lenses, and even better than other Nikkor macro lens designs. Using front lens tilt to effectively increase depth of field in the resulting image is possible due to the Scheimpflug principle, described here, for those that have not heard of it: Scheimpflug principle - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Most reactions

Back