What accessories should I purchase first?

tess_thereb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, I just got my tool (Nikon D3200) a few days ago and I am now stuck with the decision of what accessories to first purchase.
Keep in mind I have a limited budget cause I am only 18 :1251: and there are no camera/retail shops where I live (Caribbean) therefore shipping and duty can be really high. However here are my choices:

1. Cleaning and Protection Material: Cleaning kit and Easycover (It's very dusty where I live)
2. Tripod and Wireless Shutter Release Remote
3. Starter Accessory Kit

I appreciate all opinions from everyone and look forward to learn a few things.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Stay away from the über-cheap crap listed online. It just isn't worth the bandwidth needed to order it. You'll end up with a bunch of junk.

Of the five links you posted, the only one I would say is fine is the IR remote. Everything else will be crap. Save your money and buy real gear that will serve you well, provide better images, and last longer.

Do NOT waste a cent on the last link, the "starter accessory kit", because that stuff is needless junk.

You've found some good deals and some not good.

The good:

The cleaning kit is something you might need someday, but it's not imperative at the moment. Save that for a gift suggestion for someone to buy for you.

The tripod is cheap, and you'll need a tripod, but if that is your realistic budget, then get that one. I have three; one that is fairly lightweight and easy to carry from my car to someplace close, one that is way too heavy, but it will easily hold my weight, so it's very strong, and one like the one you linked to that is a lightweight cheapie that I carry in my bag. Sometimes any tripod is better than no tripod when you need one. Just don't expect it to be a safe, rock-solid wind-proof tripod that will hold a tank.

The IR remote should be in everyone's camera bag for when you want to be in the photo.

The not good:

The "easy cover" is more of a gimmick in that it certainly will not protect your camera from any dust. Plus the added disadvantage of making the controls much harder to operate. It might, however, protect your camera somewhat if you drop it just right so that the easy cover cushions the blow of falling to the pavement. But what if you drop the camera on the lens, which is not covered by the easy cover?

The starter accessory kit is nothing that you need, but manages to cost more than the other items. Delete that from your wish list.

Why not wait and buy what you find you need?

Advice all good so far.
Here's my list in order:
- Spare battery
- Spare memory card - I keep taped to my camera strap in the little plastic case.
- IR remote trigger - in the case on the other side of my camera strap.
- tripod
- monopod
- more lenses
- better tripods
- more, more, more of everything...........

I would say try to get a extra memory card and the remote. Then save up for a good tripod. Other than that I'd hold off until to see where you want to go with your photography and that will dictate what you need. A spare battery is nice but if you're not running it completely down in a day then you can get by for now with the one you have.

Editing software does make a big difference in my book. I went for the 10 dollars a month deal for Lightroom and Photoshop CC and have never looked back. The Wacom tablet makes it better also but I left that off since this was info for someone just starting out.
Personally I use Bridge and Photoshop because I just don't understand Lightroom but it's there and the deal is good.

Just use the camera and learn it for now. Get a small padded camera case or backpack to keep the camera out of the dust.
Extra battery and memory card.
Then the next expensive item would be a flash or tripod. If you are taking pictures of friends at night or indoors then plan on a flash, if you like landscape or macro then a tripod.

Thanks everyone! I took all suggestions into consideration and I've decided that the tripod and shutter remote is the way to go. I do indeed enjoy landscape and macro the most.

I agree with the comments about cheap and unnecessary equipment but, I'm an amateur here so I guess I came to the right place for advice. I'm currently trying to master the manual mode and focusing as we speak....type. ;)

There are freely downloadable editing packages that should do all you need. I used FastStone for everyday editing and sometimes play with GIMP if I want a bit more power.

The tripod you've linked to looks remarkably similar to the one I brought from 7 day shop for £7. It's nothing special but it will hold a camera in undemanding conditions. With a little ingenuity things like walls, tables & fences can be used for that too -helped by a little padding from a jacket or bean bag. Instructables - DIY How To Make Instructions has a huge selection of DIY projects related to camera support, perhaps worth a look while saving for a decent tripod :)

As others have mentioned a spare card & battery are wise things to bring with you. Probably more useful than anything else.

I gave the starter kit a quick glance, and was surprised to it had something that would be useful. The lens hood, is definitely something to get, but leave the package 'deal' most of it isn't worth half the extra domestic postage cost.

There are freely downloadable editing packages that should do all you need. I used FastStone for everyday editing and sometimes play with GIMP if I want a bit more power.

The tripod you've linked to looks remarkably similar to the one I brought from 7 day shop for £7. It's nothing special but it will hold a camera in undemanding conditions. With a little ingenuity things like walls, tables & fences can be used for that too -helped by a little padding from a jacket or bean bag. Instructables - DIY How To Make Instructions has a huge selection of DIY projects related to camera support, perhaps worth a look while saving for a decent tripod :)

As others have mentioned a spare card & battery are wise things to bring with you. Probably more useful than anything else.

I gave the starter kit a quick glance, and was surprised to it had something that would be useful. The lens hood, is definitely something to get, but leave the package 'deal' most of it isn't worth half the extra domestic postage cost.

Thanks for the detailed reply and the info about the editing software, I will look into them. I'm currently using Adobe Lightroom for edits but I really think Photoshop would be a more well rounded software to use although it is harder to learn.
I will also be purchasing a spare SD card as well (luckily they are sold in everywhere :biggrin-93:). I'm just a little peeved that there are no camera shops in my country to satisfy the many needs of photographers accordingly. Most things have to be ordered. :angry:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back