what am I doing wrong?

Dagwood56

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm not new to photography, but I am relatively new to digital, for the past year I have a used a canon P&S and gotten some remarkable photos. I was pleased that most could be zoomed in even larger in photoshopp and cropped for a nice crisp clear closeup.

So ---I finallly get the camera I've dreamed of for the past two years - Sony A100 and I go out to shoot some birds and scenic shots using a 70-210mm Minolta lens from my old film camera I got what I thought were nice clsoe shots. I'm shooting in JPEG fine which according to the manual is still recording at 10.2mp and I put the photos on the computer. In photoshop I zoom in on a bird expecting exceptional results and it looks like it was shot with a 5mp or less camera! I had the camera shake button on - I'm working in program mode with a ISO of 200, avearge shutter speed 125 -250 and the picture looks clear untill I zoom in using photo shop....why?:( I'm reallly getting frustrated!

That's so very odd :/ I got the A350 for xmas and was playing around with it on Christmas day of course..... Previously I used the Panasonic Lumix fz18, and was happily surprised that after cropping some of the shots from yesterday that their sizes are so very much larger even after shooting in fine jpg...... wish I could help you out some :/

avearge shutter speed 125 -250

That might not be enough. For the long end (210mm) you'll probably be needing 1/200th at least, but I don't know how steady your hand is.

Could you post up some examples at 100% magnification, with settings? It could be camera shake, out of focus, anything until we see pics.

This is the EXACT same problem I am having with my camera. I have a Canon 30d and a Canon 70-210 EF lens.

Here are some examples that I get:

(I thtink this one is even a little out of focus)
IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

I'm not new to photography, but I am relatively new to digital, for the past year I have a used a canon P&S and gotten some remarkable photos. I was pleased that most could be zoomed in even larger in photoshopp and cropped for a nice crisp clear closeup.

So ---I finallly get the camera I've dreamed of for the past two years - Sony A100 and I go out to shoot some birds and scenic shots using a 70-210mm Minolta lens from my old film camera I got what I thought were nice clsoe shots. I'm shooting in JPEG fine which according to the manual is still recording at 10.2mp and I put the photos on the computer. In photoshop I zoom in on a bird expecting exceptional results and it looks like it was shot with a 5mp or less camera! I had the camera shake button on - I'm working in program mode with a ISO of 200, avearge shutter speed 125 -250 and the picture looks clear untill I zoom in using photo shop....why?:( I'm reallly getting frustrated!
Are you zooming in past the resolution of the photo? What I mean is, once you go over 100%, it starts to deteriorate.

IDK if you reply was aimed towards me, but I am NOT zooming in at all. These are the originals. These were also taken in RAW format.

I am not sure if this will help, I got this from another board.

Everything in red has to do with zoom. You will only see the things in red if you have a zoom lens. This lens is a 10-22. This is why you see 10 on the left of the focal length and 22 on the right. If the lens was a 100-200 you would see those numbers instead. Obviously a prime (which only has one focal length) will not have these items.

Everything in yellow has to do with focus. The auto/manual switch flips from the camera focusing for you to you being responsible for the focus. When in manual focus mode turning the focus ring will adjust your focus. Look through the viewfinder as you try this. As you turn this ring the corresponding distance will be displayed in the focus distance window.

Note if you leave your camera on AF auto focus you will see the number in the distance window change when you focus on something near and then refocus on something far.

Note that your lens may have the items in a different order. An older lens will not have the 'focus distance' window but something else. (cant remember right now he mentions it in the book)

zoomvsfocus.jpg

The photos I take have ben blurred somewhat too, but its only after I zoom in using photo shop that it really gets bad. I'm aware that there is a point where the photo can't be zoomed into further without blurring etc., but I'm not going that far. WHen I used the point and shot which was 8mp I could zoom into things where it looked as though it was a macro shot with crisp results, but I can't even zoom in a litle bit with A100 and have it clear. I always use the steady shot too. My husband seems to think its because the lens is not specifically "digital" but the Sony is supposed to use the minolta lens without a problem - or so they say.

Sorry - can't post any prints I don't save junk and when I saw them I got mad and simply deleted them.

Haha yea so since you ARE zooming in BUT NOT zooming in alot, we probably have the same problem and JUST MINE is worse, making it noticible without ANY zoom.

So anybody know what we can do to fix this?

Can someone take a look at my lens and see if its suited for the types of shots were describing? Thanks

Also have to remember when using Jpeg even though you shot at 10+mpix, the camera is reducing the file size. Not sure if you have the option, but I shoot Raw and sometimes RAW + Jpeg.

You can also be running into camera shake. Looks good until you get down into it. Then you see it. Also AF is not perfect.

Maybe give it another try with raw pictures. And keep the shutter 250 and above. Maybe even 500. Not sure on your camera but some allow fine tuning of the AF by the user.

Most reactions

Back