What are your opinions on the current batch of "superzoom" cameras?

explody pup

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Fixed zoom lens (approx 35mm to 200+) and non SLR. I'm looking at the Panasonic DMC-FZ50, specifically, due to the Leica lens.

I'm thinking of replacing my film cameras w/ this. I'm just not using them and I'm not taking photos as much as I'd like.

Some of the reviews I've read mention the noise problem w/ Panasonic. But I'm not convinced that'd be too big of a deal w/ my photography. Looking to see if anyone has any pros/cons regarding this camera and general camera type.

Thanks.

i would trust what dpreiview says, i as a kid cant shoot film for cost reasons, but cans stand most non Dslr Digitals

Because the lens says Leica doesn't mean it is a good superzoom. It is a brand name. It has nothing to do with who designed and made the lens. Personally, I've never seen a good superzoom. Perhaps there is one somewhere but I haven't seen it.

I don't have experience with the camera mentioned above, but I do have a KM dimage z6, which is a little bit lower-end than the Panasonic, but not by too much. The zoom on it is equivalent to 35-420mm. I have to say I'm not so impressed with the lens - it's a bit soft, and the chromatic abberation can be really bad sometimes. Now that I know more about lenses, I don't trust anything with nearly that kind of range. Kemplefan is right though, dpreview does some really hardcore reviewing, so I usually trust their opinion.

Most reactions

Back