What basic PP techniques do you use?

jeff_scott

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need everyone's input on this one. Assuming the shots you take aren't 100% perfect, what are some of the basic, not overdone, techniques that you use in PP to enhance a photo?

All feedback and techniques are welcome.

Thanks guys!

Adjust white balance. Set black point in the Levels command in the Red,Green,and Blue channels,individually, channel by channel. Adjust the Tone Curve. Apply some unsharp masking to remove the blurring effect of the anti-alias filter.

Those things are really basic, and very key adjustments. White Balance is absolutely critical. The black point is also critical. The subsequent adjustments are commonly done, but not as key as white balance and black point.

yep depends on the image but I'm a sucker for the vignetted look. not super dark, just a little hint of something something..

Hmmm interesting - I often set a black point in levels but never done it colour channel by colour channel - I'll give that a try next time and see how it goes.

As for methods it can often be tricky to put them together - many tutorials will detail the method alone, but without a proper context around it it can somewhat leave you high and dry. This is especially true since there are often many different ways to go about getting the same effect.

Have a look at this link here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...o-gallery/197325-full-photoshop-workflow.html
For an idea on a while workflow through an example image. There are some really good details here of the methods being used and many can be used even in photoshop elements (I belive there might be some good info and links so go through that thread for them.

Depends on the shot. Don't always use it. Some of my favorites are straight from the camera.

That being said, when I do PP, my most often used (in no particular order):

Lens correction.
Sharpening.
Curve adjustement.
Contrast.
Cropping.
White balance fine tuning.
Noise reduction.

I don't like to waste time in PP so I try to get things right up front. I shoot RAW + Fine and I have a picture control setting that I am very happy with (only relevant for jpegs):

Standard with Sharpening 6, Contrast +1, Brightness -1, Active D-Lighting Off.

This way I have the raw file to screw with if I need it. Many people find shooting both raw and jpeg a waste, but I like having the reference of what I'm aiming for in post. This may matter more to me than most due to my working in linux. I have some disadvantages with respect to the capabilities raw image processing apps being able to correctly render based on imbedded camera profiles.

Most reactions

Back