What camera have you loved beyond all others?

Pentax 110 Super.
18, 24, 50, 70, and 20-40 f/2.8 lenses.

pentax110super.jpg

That would be mostly my imaginary perfect camera that I keep designing and redesigning in my head.

So far I'm using Nikon DSLRs ... I dont think anyone really loves them, they are worktools, not objects of love and passion. Great worktools, no question, with many possibilities. But also ugly, plasticky and hella complex.

I think I have two that fit the bill. The first is my Polaroid Land Camera 100 for two reasons: it belonged to my father, and it's a fantastic camera. I have become completely hooked on instant film because of the Pola. It's got a surprisingly good lens, and it's so much fun, so artistically satisfying.

The second is my first and lifelong love: my K1000. I might have that baby cremated with me when I go. She's been with me for more than 20 years, through three countries, three boyfriends, a few tumbles off a tripod, and countless rolls of film, and she is as reliable as the first day I bought her. I still remember standing in front of the case at Service Merchandise and deciding to buy her. I was fresh out of college and determined to have a real camera so I could learn some real photography. I would go to the store sometimes to visit her while I saved up the money. Then finally came the day I got to write down the item number and bring it to the customer service desk in the back of the store, and wait for her to come rolling down the conveyor belt.

These two shots came from one of my first few rolls I ever shot with the K1000, and they convinced me that I had made the right choice: (scans of prints)

Piano
by limrodrigues, on Flickr

You and I Waltz

And one of my latest, from about 6 months ago, convincing me that I can never get rid of this camera or its lenses:

Wire

I think I've loved lenses more than cameras. all the same - Sony V1: the digital 'Velvia' camera.

I wouldn't use the word "love" to describe it, but the camera I've had the most interactive and personal relationship with is the one I learned on also. In my case, it's my Nikon F Photomic.

Nikon_F_Photomic_4450.jpg

Probably the next one I get.

My favorite camera anomg that I've had is Nikon D90 even though D7100 I have now is all around better. D90 was a camera which I started to learn photography with not only press the button.

Contax RX. It was perfect. Perfect ergonomics, balance and weight. Solid brass alloy. Great Zeiss glass. Weird squishy, leathery grip. Basic operation with no bells and whistles aside from focus confirmation - which, I'll admit was petty derpy and really only worked when you didn't need it - but it had such a great viewfinder. Thing was like how I imagine driving an Italian sports car that I'd never be able to afford, probably because it was designed by Porche.

Someday I'll buy the C/Y Planar again for my Fuji - which is a distant second from the RX.

1024px-Contax_rx_with_planar1%2C4_85mm_jp.jpg

Category:Contax RX - Wikimedia Commons

Image courtesy Ignis, CC 2005 CC BY-SA 3.0

Last edited:
That would have to be my first SLR camera, my Nikon FG. I saved the change from my school lunch every day until I could afford it. It opened up a whole new world of photography for me. Got me into developing film and in the darkroom. It even managed to get me in the studio. I still have it and it sits proudly on top of the bookcase with it's flash and motor drive in the living room. Amazingly after 31 years it's still works like the day I bought it.

31552-1440053737-313886423e32ae3ad2634779c3dc2204.jpg

That would have to be my first SLR camera, my Nikon FG. I saved the change from my school lunch every day until I could afford it. It opened up a whole new world of photography for me. Got me into developing film and in the darkroom. It even managed to get me in the studio. I still have it and it sits proudly on top of the bookcase with it's flash and motor drive in the living room. Amazingly after 31 years it's still works like the day I bought it.

Fantastic camera! I used to have the FG-20 with a nikkor 50mm f/1.8. What a great camera it was. It lacked the FG's program mode: it was the dumbed-down successor to your camera. Still- a fine instrument in its own right. Never failed me.

Fantastic camera! I used to have the FG-20 with a nikkor 50mm f/1.8. What a great camera it was. It lacked the FG's program mode: it was the dumbed-down successor to your camera. Still- a fine instrument in its own right. Never failed me.

I really liked that 50mm 1.8 series E lens. Still have it in my old camera bag somewhere.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back