What camera should I buy a gift for someone

Ryderd3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys I would really appreciate your help. My sister equipment was stolen and I would like to buy her a new camera for her birthday. Problem is I’m not a photographer and know very little about camera.

She previously had a 5d mark 2 which got stolen but now she’s using her old 70d cannon. She mostly shoots weddings and portraits I went to the store and they recommended I get a Sony for her my budget is around $3500 .

Will she be able to use her cannon lenses on the Sony or can you recommend something better?

Thanks really appreciate the help. Sorry for the basic question I just want to surprise her with a good camera that’s going to last her .

Hi guys I would really appreciate your help. My sister equipment was stolen and I would like to buy her a new camera for her birthday. Problem is I’m not a photographer and know very little about camera.

She previously had a 5d mark 2 which got stolen but now she’s using her old 70d cannon. She mostly shoots weddings and portraits I went to the store and they recommended I get a Sony for her my budget is around $3500 .

Will she be able to use her cannon lenses on the Sony or can you recommend something better?

Thanks really appreciate the help. Sorry for the basic question I just want to surprise her with a good camera that’s going to last her .
This is incredibly generous of you! My suggestion would be to tell your sister that you're buying her a camera as a gift. Then, let HER pick out what she wants.

The store should not have told you to buy Sony, if she already has Canon equipment. They SHOULD have told you to ask your sister, but they're trying to make a sale. She may want to stay within the same brand to use lenses/accessories that she already has.

My wife and family know to never to buy me anything for my camera without my explicit approval.

This is incredibly generous of you! My suggestion would be to tell your sister that you're buying her a camera as a gift. Then, let HER pick out what she wants.

The store should not have told you to buy Sony, if she already has Canon equipment. They SHOULD have told you to ask your sister, but they're trying to make a sale. She may want to stay within the same brand to use lenses/accessories that she already has.

My wife and family know to never to buy me anything for my camera without my explicit approval.
I think as a brother you are very welcome to tell your sister your budget and plan for a new gear! She can choose it herself !
Happy Birthday from us :)

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

Obtain the current retail price of a 5d mark 2, and purchase a gift card for that amount or your budget, whichever you can do. If she wants the same thing, that will cover it, but if she wants another model, she can use the gift card for whatever.

The store clerk may be expecting a kickback from Sony for recommending that make. None of her lenses will fit onto the Sony.

Bless you!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back