What camera should I get?

Pooh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have about $350-$500 to spend on a digital camera.
I really don't know what's good for the price, since I don't know too much about digital cameras.

Obviously I'm going to want a nice resolution and a medium optical zoom.
It will be used mostly for outdoors in the sun.

I just need a few cameras in that price range so I can look into each one and see which one I want. I'm buying one today so fast replies are welcome!

are you using it for just personal use (trips, friends, etc) or do you want to do more actual photography (not just picture taking :) )? i like my little camera, and it's just a point-and-shoot, but it works well. It's a kodak dx7630 (it has 6.1 megapixels and 3x optical zoom)...kodak is usually denounced in the photography world nowadays, but their point and shoot cameras are actually pretty nice. if you want a larger optical zoom in sacrifice of a little quality, the dx7590 has 10x optical zoom and 5 megapixels. i'd recommend either of those or a sony cybershot dsc p200 (7 mp and 3x optical zoom). the best bet would be wait a tad bit longer and save your money to buy a digital rebel (you can buy a great quality one on ebay for 700 with a lens (or 550-650 without one)). that would be a better investment in my opinion. if you HAVE to have a digital camera today, i would go with a nice point and shoot.

thebeginning said:
are you using it for just personal use (trips, friends, etc) or do you want to do more actual photography (not just picture taking :) )? i like my little camera, and it's just a point-and-shoot, but it works well. It's a kodak dx7630 (it has 6.1 megapixels and 3x optical zoom)...kodak is usually denounced in the photography world nowadays, but their point and shoot cameras are actually pretty nice. if you want a larger optical zoom in sacrifice of a little quality, the dx7590 has 10x optical zoom and 5 megapixels. i'd recommend either of those or a sony cybershot dsc p200 (7 mp and 3x optical zoom). the best bet would be wait a tad bit longer and save your money to buy a digital rebel (you can buy a great quality one on ebay for 700 with a lens (or 550-650 without one)). that would be a better investment in my opinion. if you HAVE to have a digital camera today, i would go with a nice point and shoot.
Great I'll look into those cameras.

And no I dont need to get a camera today. But i'd like to. I have more than enough money to buy whatever camera I want :er: But I dont want to spend too much.

The rebel you're talking about... What does the lense that comes with it actually do? I can spend up to 600 probrably

I would be using this for personal use and then possibly for some photography classes. Eventually i would use it for my website. Nothing TOO big

The Digital Rebel kit lens is a Canon EF 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom lens. With the 1.6X (I believe?) tele factor of the digital CCD, it's the equivalent of roughly a 28-90mm lens in 35mm factor. (28.8-88mm) In realistic terms, this is a pretty nice little lens. I've borrowed a friend's Digital Rebel before, and compared to the 28-300mm Sigma he had (obnoxiously loud, heavy and incredibly akward when zoomed out) the 18-55mm lens was quiet, light and unobtrusive. It's got a pretty usable zoom range, and it's fairly quiet. It's also got the benefit of Canon quality. There are definitely far worse lenses out there. (Case in point, the Sigma 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3...it sounds like an old wind-up toy when focusing...only louder.)

~Adam

In that price range I would suggest the Panasonic DMC-FZ20. It's not perfect but offers a decent sensor and 430mm with some type of IS. I'm not sure you could do much better for the price, particularly if you are looking to shoot wildlife.

Most reactions

Back