What camera should I purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be aware that as you learn the craft, you will run into shortcomings in your equipment. It's up to you to decide if those shortcomings will just have to be accepted, or if you'll need to upgrade your equipment over time.

Also be aware that once you start buying lenses, you're pretty much locked into the camera brand. I started with a Nikon AF film camera decades ago because Nikon didn't obsolete their lens mount to go auto-focus; their legacy lenses will still fit the camera. That's still true today. A Nikkor lens from 1975 will fit current digital SLR cameras, sometime imposing limitations in metering or shooting mode (like no shutter-priority or fully automatic auto-exposure.) I'm on my 4th dSLR body, all purchased used, and purchased because the previous camera had some shortcoming; not fast enough AF, not fast enough continuous shooting speed, buffer too small, won't meter with a legacy lens; things I decided I needed to improve to get the work I wanted.

So camera bodies may fall by the wayside over time even though they work just fine, they don't work "as well" as newer ones, or ones from higher up the line. Lenses, on the other hand, are pretty much forever. Well, other than the 55-200 kits lens my D50 came with in the late 2000s... that thing was an abomination! :)

Locked due to spambots (thread is from 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back