What camera to buy?

Do you also have a recommendation on what store the OP should steal either a D3200 or G15/G16 from. They certainly don't fit in the OP's $230.00 budget.

OP. Take a look at these and see if there is anything that interests you.

Best Digital Camera Under $250 of 2013
Best Cameras Under $250 - Find the Best Inexpensive Digital Cameras for Under $250

I didn't see the budget limit at the initial OP.

For 250$ ?

I would probably go for a medium bridge camera but I know little about these cameras so I will not name any models.

If you are tight in budget, you can also take a look at the Refurbished camera from Canon.

Refurbished PowerShot Digital Cameras | Canon Online Store

Just noticed from the Canon site that they now offer 1 year warranty on refurbished digital camera and camcorder. (Same warranty as new)

The S100 is close to your budget. (A little over)

I'm no expert but $200 won't get you very far. I'd save up a bit more and go from there.

I would consider something in the Nikon or Canon line. Both companies have a pretty good track record.

Asking advise on buying a camera is like asking advise on what condoms to buy. Everyone is going to tell you to go with the Magnumn size with ridges for her pleasure.

Any of the major brands will have good points and bad points. Canon and Nikon are the industry leaders, but that doesn't mean that other brands won't fit you bill or do exactly what you want/need. What you need to do is define what that bill is. Any camera in experienced hands can be used to take great photos. Camera's don't take great photos, photographers do. Camera's just record what the photographer tells it to record.

Define what you want, Point and Shoot, Bridge Camera, Mirrorless or full blown DSLR. Then figure out what featurs you want/need. A good place to compare features is: Digital Photography Review You can compare camera bodies and lenses.

Go to a photography shop or if you need a big box store and look at the camera's and see what it is that interests you. Once you have an idea what you want, then start comparing camera's or systems to find the ones that fit your needs.

Finally look at the price point you want to stay within. Your decision is going to have to include compromise as there is no perfect camera or system. You have to decide what compromises you are willing to accept.

nice metaphor... :)

"Camera's don't take great photos, photographers do"
Absolutely agree...

Go to an online store, look around filtering by price, brand, model, features, etc.
make a decision based on the intersection of the findings but start with lower budget,
buy a cheaper set and scale it up later based on your observations
that's it

230$ budget for low light photos
Not gonna happen. If it was that do-able we all own one.

I'm asking which one performs better in this price range. Any help is appreciated.

Honestly, none of them. Compact or bridge cameras are cheaper because they use a smaller sensor - which means they do not perform well at all in low light. Also because of the smaller sensor the moment you get above ISO 800 the noise gets bad - at 1600 and above the results are so bad they are pretty much useless. Compact or bridge cameras work fine in good lighting conditions but low light is just not something they do well at all. If your going to be doing a lot of low light you'll either need to use a flash or you'll need a better camera, the sort your just not going to be able to afford until you save up a bit more money.

Sorry for the bad news, but it's just a limitation of the smaller, cheaper cameras - low light just really isn't an option I'm afraid.

Most reactions

Back