What camera would be best? Any advice will be great.

JojoRachell9211

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok. Im looking for a great camera that I will be able to take pictures from weddings to senior pictures. Im trying to save up the money but I dont really know what to get. Price isnt really an issue i guess. I am fully aware that a good camera is going to cost me. I think I take good pictures and have been told by family and friends aswell. I have also place second in a photo competion at a national livestock show. Im want to take my brothers senior pictures next year and would really like to be able to get the camera soon. But i need to know what kind of money i will need to save. I dont make very good money since i work part time at a pet store for 7.25/hour. What are the best brands? I would like a camera with interchangeable lenses. But Im just not sure what would be best. Any advice would be really helpful. Thank you.

Nikon D4 is pretty versatile.

Any of the base model DSLR's from nikon, canon, pentax with kit lens will serve very well for what you have in mind. Play with that for a week or two and then get a flash with a tilting and rotating head.

The following examples give you an idea of the price of entry level cameras and kit lenses. Careful shopping could get you a better price. Second hand or refurbished would also reduce the price. More money will get you longer range zoom kit lenses and bodies with more features.

Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm NIKKOR VR Lens 25472

Canon EOS Rebel T3 Digital Camera and 18-55mm IS II Lens

Pentax K30 Digital Camera with 18-55mm AL Lens Kit (Blue) 15758

You could also look into the mirror less interchangeable lens cameras form sony, olympus, pentax or fuji.

Family & friends generally wont give an honest critique ... they don't want to hurt the feelings of someone they know.

When shooting weddings... the equipment bill hardly ends with the camera body. Basically you need two camera bodies and appropriate set of lenses. The lenses typically NEED to be f/2.8 or faster (e.g. expect to pay $1500-2000 per lens.) You also need some lighting gear (preferably a few high-end speedlites).

While it might be something to aspire to do someday, I wouldn't go into it without the right experience and gear. You're shooting someone's "once in a lifetime" experience and the bride has very high expectations... brides dream of this day for a long time.

One can re-shoot a portrait session, but you don't have any options to re-shoot a wedding.

A basic entry-level camera body and lens will probably be in the neighborhood of $500 (e.g. a Canon T3 or a Nikon D3100).

A body more appropriate for shooting weddings is going to run nearer to $3000 (and probably a minimum of $1500 to $2000) and probably another $2500-3500 in lenses, and probably another $1000 in speedlites. Add to that the cost of a backup camera and at least one other versatile lens (often when you buy a "new" camera, the "old" camera becomes the backup, but it sounds like you don't have a current DSLR.)

A wedding camera really NEEDS to be able to shoot at ISO 3200 to 6400 and STILL have extremely low "noise" levels in the image. Entry level cameras aren't really there yet.

AFAICS wedding photography is basically the climax of commercial photography, the probably most complex of all photographic fields:
- Needs knowledge about composition (as always with photography)
- Needs knowledge about social photography (how to get good pictures of people; timing etc)
- Needs knowledge about light and lighting (specifically for those cases when flash is allowed)
- Often very high demands on the photographic hardware, i.e. the ability of the camera to handle low light (which is typical for churches)
-- Thus a Nikon D4, as already mentioned, or Canons equivalent, the EOS 1D X, is NOT overkill.
-- Also bright lenses, such as prime lenses and the really fat and expensive f/2.8 zooms, are a good idea.

Thats why if I would get offered to shoot a wedding, I would run into the other direction as fast as I can.

I would only do it if there is actually some pro around who does the actual shooting, and I would be just there to learn. Maybe even work as assistant to said pro. Then I guess it would be a very interesting chance for improving my photography.

About what setup to get in hardware, well threads about photography are always interesting to read.

The smallest setup I've ever read about was a film Leica M plus a single 35mm lens. This was from the age before the digital camera, though, from the 1990. The photographer said people really liked how unintrusive this setup was (Leica M are small, and the film Leica M are quite silent).

The most typical setup is either just a normal zoom (such as 24-70mm f/2.8) or a normal and a long zoom (same plus 70-200mm f/2.8).

If I had to get the best setup for minimal price, I probably would get the Nikon D600 with 28mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.8, and rent a second D600 as backup. The 28mm is for anything related to larger space (such as group shots) and the 85mm for portraiture.

Thank you very much. Im really glad that I found a place to get help. :)

You wrote that you don't have a lot to spend and your working hard to earn the money you got, think about your level of seriousness, if your gonna invest about 10k$ in gear, one must make sure that one truly wants it. maybe start with something less irreversible to your wallet...like a starter DSLR instead of going all out on pro gear like the Nikon D4 and fast glass..

In a way, the question is like asking a guy "What woman would be best?" The answers can be pretty darn subjective.

I'll say this... you're off to a good start coming to a place like this and soliciting advice. Do that with photog friends too.

I was a photo major in college 40 years ago, and the jump to serious (rather than pocket) digital I'm finding is a big one. There's a whooooooole 'nuther skill set to master on my new Canon T3i compared to the old Minolta SRT101. Did I over-buy? Na, I think I'll get it eventually, but this first week I feel I'm drowning in menus and sort of long for just a needle to match to go with my choice of aperture or shutter speed...

At $7.25/hour, saving $250 for a used DSLR and lens would be a good start. A camera with 6MPixels will not cut it as a pro these days, but is a big jump for learning exposure and composition over a Digital Point and shoot. If you are still in school, getting on the school yearbook would be good experience.

While everyone's got you going pro already, I'm going to say get a basic DSLR with a kit lens and shoot, shoot, read, shoot, keep learning. If I am to assume you are still in school or just out, you're at an age when friends are going to be getting married, engaged, graduating, yada yada, and each event presents an opportunity to shoot just as a participant with no responsibility. It would help you also to post some of your photos here for critique. Just don't expect oohs and aahhs that aren't sincere. Can't really say that about family and friends.

I would probably start with a Canon Rebel T4i. They are a great starter camera. I took my rebel pretty far before I started upgrading.

I suggest that you rent a camera or two before you buy one. Not all cameras are created equal. The feel, the controls and the menu are things you will deal with daily, so get the major maker's cameras in your hands and see what is right for you. You are in luck because there are so many places that rent bodies and lens, you should not have trouble getting one.

Question for TPF'ers: How many of these threads have we seen in the past month? Past 6 weeks? Past year?

My God, they are coming out of the woodwork and from beneath the rocks.

I wish the OP no harm but my GOD there have been a lot of them lately. Same story.

From the description of this forum:
General discussions for all Camera Gear, Camera Equipment, Camera products and more. Talk about the latest photographic headlines and read - or give - product reviews. Also get advice on what equipment to purchase and get opinions from others about various products.

Not sure I understand your complaint. There's always the option of avoiding this particular forum board.

From the description of this forum:

Not sure I understand your complaint. There's always the option of avoiding this particular forum board.

I think you fail to understand that the OP is looking to move from a Kodak easy share to a DSLR to start shooting weddings.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back