What can I shoot with canon 60mm

Rambojonil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been using my kit lense to take macro pics but I know macro lense is the way to go. I ordered a 60mm while I'm on a budget. My question is can I still shoot other things people and dogs or only close up like insects and flowers etc?

Hi and welcome to the forum. You can still photography any other subjects. Macro Lenses usually have slower autofocus though, so don´t expect to shoot sports, or a dog running towards you etc. with autofocus. The Image quality will be better than your kit lens
For portraits you will have the option to shoot a wider aperture, which will blur your background more and another advantage will be that you don´t need to use as high ISO in low light situations.

There are only a few lenses that can't shoot normally (canon MPE 65mm macro for one); so your 60mm will do whatever you want of it.

As said macro lenses tend to have slower AF; however they are not impossibly slow, just not lightning fast. They also have a fine control over their close distance focusing, but a less fine control over their long distance; which means in manual mode a little turn produces quite a big shift in focus points in regular distances. It's a quirk to keep in mind but shouldn't stop you.
Make use of the AF limiter switch when shooting normal subjects (it cuts out the close focus range as normal subjects/distances won't need that range enabled so it cuts down on hunting).

I've seen macro lenses used for everything from bugs to action to portraits to landscape and everything else. The only limit is your creativity.

I use my fuji 60mm macro a lot. I use it mainly in manual focus but my camera has focus highlights which makes it easy. For portraits, I have used AF with eye detection and it works great. As mentioned, the bokeh is smooth and pleasing. It's a good focal length on a crop sensor for portraits and manageable for macro.

60mm is a nice angle of view anfd focal length on APS-C! I like the Nikon 60mm macro for small-scale, close landscape stuff,flowers, and it can be used for portraiture, yes!

60mm is a nice angle of view anfd focal length on APS-C! I like the Nikon 60mm macro for small-scale, close landscape stuff,flowers, and it can be used for portraiture, yes!

Thanks everyone for your fast responses. My lense will be here soon (tracked package ) so this information is very exciting and very helpful.

Macro lenses are very good sharp lenses. The difference is they have a larger focus range so they can focus closer than normal lenses. You lens will still focus to infinity. Unless you use an extension tube. But that's for another time / question. :345:

Okay , so excited to get the macro and I'm still new and this whole thing becAuse I don't take enough photos. In the house I put it at 7.0 you can't see a thing put opened dof and got it to about 4 but I still had to put flash and it totally blew out the bracelet. What should I do ? The bracelet is now in the macro photography. Please take a look and give me feed back. Thanks so much !!!!

Okay , so excited to get the macro and I'm still new and this whole thing becAuse I don't take enough photos. In the house I put it at 7.0 you can't see a thing put opened dof and got it to about 4 but I still had to put flash and it totally blew out the bracelet. What should I do ? The bracelet is now in the macro photography. Please take a look and give me feed back. Thanks so much !!!!
Use a tripod and no flash, set the camera to manual, set your aperture to the desired dof, adjust shutter speed to get you at zero exposure . Use remote shutter release cable, take picture. If using a flash and it's blown out, dial the power back. It's best to get the flash off the camera shoe mount via cable or wireless trigger.

Use a tripod and no flash, set the camera to manual, set your aperture to the desired dof, adjust shutter speed to get you at zero exposure . Use remote shutter release cable, take picture. If using a flash and it's blown out, dial the power back. It's best to get the flash off the camera shoe mount via cable or wireless trigger.
One other option if you can't dial back the power on the flash is to diffuse it via a little tissue paper (or a purchased diffuser...). this is something I've tried when neither the tripod or off camera flash where handy. Cigarette papers can work well (they even have a little weak adhesive to hold then in place) but I've got away with toilet paper (in desperation?) for this shot of a moth on a bathroom mirror:
Mirrored moth by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

My preferred option is to have the flash held away at arms reach, and connected via a TTL cable. This makes subject movement less of an issue than the tripod approach.

IMG_4685.jpg
All this information is so great and these macro pics are my inspiration. I will work harder at these macro pics. I actually did putthe tissue paper in front of the built in flash until I get something for it and I also got a table tripod. I aimed for the rings but for some reason the Bible came in focus. Lots of practice for me. Also , getting married at city hall Tuesday. Is this okay to let everyone know I've tied the knot ?

For long distance "macro" you can try dolly-zoom gives the same field of wiev but background will be more blurryer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back