What Cards are you using in your camera?

pbelarge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am curious what cards you are all using in your cameras.

What brand do you think is the most reliable?
What size(s) do you carry with you in your bag?

How do you download to your computer?

I use an 8GB ScanDisk Extreme III 30MB/s. (Amateur shooting)
I also keep an additional two 2GB ScanDisk Extreme III 20MB/s cards in my bag.

I can't say I've had a memory card fail in any brand, therefore can't say much toward reliability.
I download to my computer through an internal card reader.

Ralph

I have an 8GB SanDisk Ultra 15MB/s that i usually keep in the camera
I also have a 2GB SanDisk
If im uploading them to my desktop, i just plug the USB cord into the camera and upload through camera wizard.
If im uploading them to my laptop, i just pop the card into the slot on the laptop and upload.

I carry 4GB Sandisk cards. One is an Ultra, and the other an Extreme 3.

I use a Targus card reader when I am not at my place, and the reader on my Canon MX980 when I am at my apartment.

Last edited:
I have used Sandisk, Lexar, and Kingston and have had no problems with them.

Lexar Professional -3 years old
SD HC
4GB
133x Speed

PNY- 3 months old
OPTIMA
SDHC
120min HD
8GB

Scan Disk 2
1GB
Backup backup

Internal Card Reader on the front of the tower.

I use a portable card reader.

Is an internal card reader faster?

Sandisk cards for me - 2 4GB cards and 1 2GB card
I also have a second 2GB card from another maker (I think fuji). It's a slower rating than the sandisk cards and I do really feel that even when shooting with only a 400D in RAW mode.

Sandisk also come with a neat image recovery software program so its worth having a least one for that alone.

Main card is an 8gb Delkin eFilm Pro SDHC
Spare is a 4gb SanDisk SDHC

I upload all images via internal card reader on my laptop

4GB OCZ Class 6, and a Kingston 4GB Class 4. Both have served me fine, both cost under $10.

4GB Sandisk Ultra III 200x speed. And a portable card reader in the camera bag so I can download wherever I need to.

I have been using a 16GB Sandisk Extreme Class 10 card. I notice that others seem to use smaller size cards. I have two, and on several occassions filled the one and started the second.

Is there a reason for using a smaller card that I may not be aware of?

So you don't lose so many images if you lose the card, physically or electronically.

I don't use bigger than 4 GB in still cameras that record 12 or under MP of image data.

I have never had a card fail So I don't think brand matters a whole lot. Card speed, particularly for upload, does.

I have used brand name cards, no brand name cards, and everything in between. From 512 MB cards to 32 GB cards for Video. SD SDHC, CF, Mini CF, Mini SD.

They are all flash memory and flash memory is subject to 'write fatigue' after about 100,000 cycles.

• Always format the card in the camera it will be used in
  • ground yourself before you touch a card
  • keep your fingers away from the contacts
  • always download the images at the end of a shooting day
  • Using the card to store images longer than that is just asking for heart ache.

I have 3 Sandisk 4gb extreme III cards and then a 4gb and 8gb Kingston that I think are 300x. I always use the sandisk cards first because they are noticeably faster when writing to the card.

Like KmH, I use lower capacity cards in case something happens to one of them. If I have a whole shoot on a 16gb card and it for some reason fails I'm in trouble. The 4gb cards hold about 150 images for me and that seems to spread it out enough.

I have used Sandisk, Lexar, and Kingston and have had no problems with them.
me too..never had any card failures with those brands either.
at the moment i use a few Sandisk 4gb cards ..i dont know their data xfer rates. i have a card reader in the side of my computer. the 4gb cards were really cheap from Morrisons ukp6.99 each, bought mid 2009.

Most reactions

Back