What Cards are you using in your camera?

I have been using a 16GB Sandisk Extreme Class 10 card. I notice that others seem to use smaller size cards. I have two, and on several occassions filled the one and started the second.

Is there a reason for using a smaller card that I may not be aware of?

well when i bought mine 4gb seemed quite big. every week id buy one when i did my weekly grocery shop. maybe there is an advantage to spreading your location work over a few cards to protect from a singular card malfunction..then again - more cards, more chances of loosing one perhaps. i only use one card at the moment. all of them if i go travelling somewhere interesting for a few days. carrying more cards/capacity usually results in taking more pictures ..which results in tons more RAW files to evaluate then prep, too much capacity can become a rod for your back.

The other thing to think about tho, while having a lot of smaller cards might be good so if one fails you don't lose everything, but say you have 6- 4GB cards or 12-2Gb cards... you either have 6 or 12 chances that one of those will fail... VS one 16 or 32GB card, only one chance to fail. IF that one card fails tho, you lose everything lol so either way its a tough call. I simply go with the 4GB ones because I can't afford anything bigger or faster! haha

I get about 375-400 RAW shots on my 4GB cards, maybe a couple more depening on lighting and such. I am only shooting 8.3MP tho

I use SanDisc Extreme IV cards. 3x 4GB & 2x 2GB cards. Unless your camera is compatible with UDMA technology, Extreme IV cards are overkill. With my D300 & D700, I can get ~200 RAW images on one 4GB card. Do I need more than one card..... sometimes, but I will only loose that one shoot, on that particular camera. All eggs in one basket sorta thing. Look for the rebates and you can save a fair amount. I only use a (SanDisk) firewire card reader to upload from the camera.

Put me in the "my 2gb cards were big when I bought them" camp.

I also use 4Gb cards, I off load onto my PC them burn them on a DVD, which is about 4Gb so 1 card = 1 DVD+-R. My D90 Does VID and shoots RAW + JPG Fine so I am rethinking this maybe picking up a 16 Gb or Higher card just for those times I need more memory. As far as brands like most electronics, the failure rate on name brands will be lower than that of off brands, but anything can and will fail.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back