What (cheaper) Full Frame Nikon camera should I upgrade to?

iKokomo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I will be selling my Nikon APS-C cameras except for my D90 and I would like to upgrade to an older, but still great Nikon Full-Frame camera.

I have been looking at the Nikon D3, D700 or D800 because they seem to be in my price range. I have been leaning toward the D3 because of its weather sealing, professional viewfinder and quality and full manual control however, D800 seems to have a better sensor. Video is not necessary as I have a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera.

I have plenty of good Nikon lenses such as a 70-200mm f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.2 and more.

My favorite style of photography is portrait.

PS. I would love a Nikon DF, but those are still too expensive for me :)

D800, D3, D700 in that order. The D3s has a better sensor than the " regular " D3. The D600 and D610 offer perhaps the best bang for buck in terms of image quality for dollars spent, along with the D800.

You need weather sealing for portraits?

the D610 blows the D700 out of the water in terms of IQ.

Last edited:
Nikon is offering a D610 kit for @ $900; 50mm f1.8/MB-D14 power; WU-1B.

Can't beat the price.

If you want a better eyepiece then the D3, D800 and D700 are the models to look at and you get weather sealing in all three. There are plenty of world class images shot with these three cameras and ergonomics certainly plays a roll in my camera choices. YMMV.

Well, after all is said and done, I did end up getting a used, decently priced (from a reputable company) Nikon DF! :) I know it does not have the 2x memory card slot, but it checked the box is all the other categories, plus it will pair very well with some of my dad's old Nikon glass like the Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AI-s. :)

The DF has the D4 sensor, F3 like user control, and super image quality. It's a model that photogs either love or hate because of the modern tech stuffed into a film like body. You will love the image quality and the ability to control the pace of a shoot.

Most reactions

Back