what clients pay for?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Terri Walsh, Jun 10, 2009.

1. fast1

fast1 TPF Noob!

your blog is pretty good, thanks[​IMG]

2. Terri Walsh

Terri Walsh TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Thanks everyone for your input (and the link!!!)
    As far as "Or what do you say when they ask about other photos (that may have not turned out?)" - by that I mean, infant crying, peeing, parents blinking etc.. They saw me take over 100 shots and only get to see 50, I have had people ask about the others?! And if they are available!

3. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'd go with KmH on that one. Just tell them that the other aren't up to your standards, and that's why they aren't available. Put it in the contract, and they can't argue the point beyond yapping your ear off (if they really don't get that that's simply part of the service you're providing).

4. Terri Walsh

Terri Walsh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thansk I like that "not up to my standards" :)

5. Henry Peach

Henry Peach TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Don't waste your time. If they can't see the difference between you and Sears then you need to either work on your portfolio and style, or move on to clients who can spot the difference. That's just the facts. You cannot compete with big box/mall econo-studios; you have to offer something different.

All my wedding and portrait (non-commercial) contracts state that I will not deliver every exposure I make, and that the client agrees to abide by my editing decisions.

Beyond that I explain to them that I will make mistakes while shooting, they will make mistakes while we are shooting, other folks and the world itself will occasionally not cooperate as we wish, etc... Those are misfires, and they are discarded as I process.

Also for me the creation of a photograph is not just pushing the button once. Sure I'm going to use tried and true techniques, poses, and ideas that have worked for me before, but I'm also going to experiment and try new things. The very nature of experimentation results in more failures than successes. Some of my exposures are sketches and studies for the finished photograph. Painters, sculptors, etc... don't usually deliver their sketchbooks along with the finished piece. Writers don't include their notes and drafts in finished novels.