What color is the dress?

One article I read about this talks about the colors you choose tells if you are left or right brained and then goes on to say what that means. I see white and gold so I'm left brained which means I'm good with math and language but, suck at being creative, according to the article. Which actually is true for me. I'm Not at all creative.

Those right brain left brain studies aren't really accepted anymore in the scientific community.

People who aren't lobotomized use both sides for both artistic and analytical tasks. There doesn't seem to be a preference either.

It's more zones than left/right.

Amusing to see all the attempts to classify people when it's percent possible for lots of people to see it either way.

Most sources either don't try to explain our get it wrong or incomplete.

There's a reddit thread that seems to have it right after you clear away some underbrush.

it's interesting that this got so many reactions

Xkcd.com has, as usual, the definitive answer!

I read on another site that if you have poor low light vision you will see white and gold. That would definitely apply to me and prove out...

I see white and gold, BUT IF I USE MY PHONE CAMERA TO VIEW THE DRESS IT LOOK BLUE AND BLACK

John.

The variety of responses here, and the subtlety of the cues that tip perception one way or the other should, if nothing else, illustrate the deep fallacy of 'correct white balance' and 'accurate color'.

Black & blue.

Seems like the majority of people saying white & gold in my circle of friends are women.... is this some cruel joke that women are playing on men? lol

I read two, different articles this AM on Yahoo News, each trying to explain this magical dress. What was soooo weird was that the first article had a very small illustration of the dress, and when the article first appeared, I actually saw the white and gold and within just like one second, it transformed into the same periwinkle and olive-green/brown shown in a crappy cell phone snap! I was freaked out. I actually perceived the white and gold, but only for a very short time. FREAKY!

I went to this, second article...it was better, and had what I thought was a more plausible explanation, especially #5. Explained Why People Can t Agree on the Color of that Dress

Wow, so the internetz has finally discovered that how we perceive color is a wonky thing...

The one thing I haven't seen discussed is this: That dress is ugly, and I don't know why the original poster ever CARED what color it was, anyway!

Unlike most of the canned illustrations of color perception the one relies - to a large degree - on the photographic context. The xkcd cartoon does a pretty good job but for the full effect, especially in a single image, you really need the actual photo with its conflicting lighting cues.

what dress ?

I have x-ray eyes.
I only see naked people
:)

Most reactions

Back