What color is the dress?

My wife sees the blue as blue when I sample in ps. But in the pic she only sees it as white.

using tapatalk.

In the picture it appears light blue and tan/beige. In person I would say it's white and beige.

If you see it as in shadow you will essentially subtract out some of the blue.

Your brain sees not RGB but rather, more or less, the ratio of red to green and the ratio of red+green to blue. And total light level.

The gold color is actually constructed out of a mild redder than green signal together with a strong ratio of the R+G to B ratio.

If you are correcting for the apparent shade you'll perceive the second signal more strongly. If you're NOT seeing at as having a shade-generated color cast, you won't. The gold will be much less pronounced, and it could read as an overexposed or reflective black/grey.

Or the black and blue people are all twitting us which it could also be. The color theory thing is just a theory.

What?

It's a sheer material in front of a light source. Crappy camera that doesnt translate colors well in a light/dark situation.

Black with dark blue.

More simply:

If you perceive it as correctly exposed and more or less in shade you will subtract blue and see it as white and gold.

If you perceive it as quite overexposed and in warm light, you will subtract yellow and see it as blue and black.

I think. I can't see it the second way. But it's credible, I think.

Last edited:
I'm mystified where this black could possibly be hidden! My vision clearly indicates white and gold, though with a drastically cool white balance.

Pull it into an editor and remove yellow until the 'white' turns a firm blue.

If you perceive the white parts not as white but as a washed out blue, your brain will subtract yellow to 'correct' it. The gold drops to black.

Context. Fun.

More simply:

If you perceive it as correctly exposed and more or less in shade you will subtract blue and see it as white and find.

If you perceive it as quite overexposed and in warm light, you will subtract yellow and see it as blue and black.

I think. I can't see it the second way. But it's credible, I think.

Exactly!

I can see it either way now, but saw it as white and gold first.
This is an amazing example of how the brain works, and color corrects.

Good lord, this stupid thing has eaten the internet. You'd think there would be correct explanations all over the place, but nope. Wired has some blather about 'um it has to do with evolution and white balance' but they apparently cannot be bothered to read wikipedia on color vision, and see that it's the blue/yellow opposition that unlocks the puzzle and makes all clear. As if we needed more evidence that Wired is terrible.

Blue/Yellow opposition is an artifact of our brains. More blue = less yellow, to our visual cortex.

We've been debating this all morning in the office. I saw black and blue, but I was in the minority. A couple of people's perception of the colour since has actually switched from white and gold to black and blue.

Fun stuff!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back