• Intel

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • AMD

Votes: 16 40.0%

• Total voters

Stef_T

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'd apreciate if you could tell me what computer you use for photoshop, and what is your experience with it. Please also tell me your specs.

I would like to refrain from turing this into a flame war, but I would apreciate if you told me how do you find your computer now (good/bad/planning on getting a new one) and why you picked that one as opposed to something else.

Thank you all for your time.

Stefan

I built my own pc for photoshop. My experience with it, is that it's phenomonal. It's a P4 2.8 HT with 2 gigs of ram, a 160 gig SATA hd, and a 250 gig SATA hd. I have two Dell Trinitron FD monitors, one 21", and one 19". I won't be needed another computer for a while. I will probably add another 2 gigs of ram eventually, which will max it out.

I built my own because it's cheaper, and I got exactly what I wanted. In the past, before building my own, I had good experience with Dell.

I run an AMD 2600XP with 1gb of RAM. Upgraded a few months ago and I think the RAM makes a massive difference.
No plans to change in the near future

2.4 ghz Sony Viao with 1 gig of ram. No problems. Although the home built one does perk my interest.

My Laptop has 512 of ram and I can tell a BIG difference when I work between the two.

Another AMD user here, always have had great luck with them and still enjoying it. Mine is a Athlon 64 3000+ with 512 megs (keep saying I'm going to upgrade to a gig, but haven't dont it yet).

AMD 3200, 1 gig of ram, FX5600 graphics card, For photoshop I think it's better to save money on the cpu, and spend it on memory, or on extra HD space, if you are a real photoshop tweaker.

FYI

I've got a Dell with 3.4GHz Intel, 1Gb of RAM, 512Mb separate graphics (can't remember the OEM), 80Gb Western Digital SATA HDD (which replaced the Maxtor one which blew up on week 2 of ownership!!) 21" Dell Ultrasharp Flat Panel Monitor (which is brilliant). I run a personally hardened and service reduced copy of XP with SP1, no AV, no unneccessary memory resident programs (like messenger). My other machine is a 7yo Dell XPS P350 with woefully low specs which still does the job and takes over in emergencies.

AMD on the laptop
Intel on the desktop

I use both with ps... haven't noticed a bit of difference between them..

I built my own as well, I'm another AMD user and I have a shuttle which limits what I can get in it but i run a 1.8 Ghz XP, 1 gig of RAM and a 40GB hard drive, I also have a ATI Radeon 9800pro cos I do a lot of 3d work....

Kodan_Txips said:
AMD 3200, 1 gig of ram, FX5600 graphics card, For photoshop I think it's better to save money on the cpu, and spend it on memory, or on extra HD space, if you are a real photoshop tweaker.

While Photoshop loves ram, it uses processor time quite a bit, for most of it's calculations. Ram is taken up by multilayer images, and some filters, but mostly image size. Photoshop is a mulit-threaded program also, to take advantage of mulitple processors. The proc definitely matters.

If money's not an issue get a G5 dual processor. If you want to save a little, check out the mac Mini. I've used macs for years and they are always a step or two ahead in my book (and checkbook). OS X+ is awesome and stable. I've been in publishing for years now and I've never seen anybody use anything but Macs if that's an indicator for you.

I've done a little PC research for my Mom and everybody said don't get the Centrino (sp.?) processor and to get the newest Pentium if you go that way.

Good luck.

Digital Matt, I entirely agree, but was thinking more along the lines of: Buy AMD rather than Intel, if there is a saving at a similar processing speed.

I would never recommend sacrificing 1000 on the cpu speed in order to go from 512 ram to 1 gig.

I've been AMD for years. I always boycott the biggest corporations (yes AMD is a big corp, but they are the underdog in comparison).

While digital editing definately is a big drag on the cpu, for _most_ users getting at least 1 gig of ram will give them the largest performance boost. Even more so if they have less than 512.

If you're building a computer that you want to last a long time, getting the 64bit AMD is a great way to go. With 64 bit software that thing will really shine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back